Electric cooling fans - Worth it for horsepower..?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mitch1981Z28, Jun 12, 2017.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Ford haters rejoice! The 4th Gen Camaro Electric Fan is here! No need to defile your car with shameful (and hard to explain)Ford parts. Yet another true OEM high performance product from the superior engineers at General Motors, these fans are in every junk yard in America! Easy to install on 2nd Gens. $24 Bucks to buy and can blow over a sleeping horse! Besides, why have a bunch of ugly homemade brackets to cobble together a single fan when you can (pretty much) throw in a good looking, well fitting, Chevrolet dual fan set up?! :D

hoppin5478 likes this.
  2. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    I'm looking at running a dual 2-speed vw fan. There controlled by a simple temp switch that opens 1 of 2 cuircts at certain temps. there cheap so I'm just going to run 2 of them.

3. Mitch1981Z28

Mitch1981Z28 Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Thanks all - I appreciate the insight.

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    Another vote for the 4th gen fans. Not saying the Taurus fan is bad, I've just never used one before so I can't vouch for it one way or the other.

On the cheap.... In the summertime I run one fan any time the key is in the ON position, the other fan on a toggle switch on the dash as needed. Both are powered by some cheap junkyard "cube" relays (one per fan). In the winter time when you really don't need much air movement to keep the motor cool, I unplug the relay to the "constant on" fan and just use the one on the dash toggle as needed. It's just so much easier than dealing with the added complexity of fan controllers (which can go bad) and temp sensors (which can go bad).

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    More specific info, please. Which years work? Do you know if it will fit the wider opening radiator?

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    Bonzo- you're right about Photobucket being a pile of crap now. Damn, I used to RELY on that site, now I can't even get pics from my phone to reliably upload and when they do they don't go in the folder they're supposed to.

8. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    I have one of those cooling my 94 LT1, interesting. Could you go in a little more detail on how you wired this up. I imagine that you had to install a bigger alternator.

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017