Electric cooling fans - Worth it for horsepower..?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mitch1981Z28, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Mitch1981Z28

Mitch1981Z28 Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Well I never would've believed it but after watching engine masters, the Dyno results showed that Stock GM 6 blade metal fan took 30 hp to turn on a SBC 350. (Check out the episode on YouTube). Not here to talk about that but I am interested in feedback on electric fans. I built my 81 Z28 motor to. 383 stroker w alum heads, etc etc. I put an aluminum Champion brand 3 row radiator in it (cools up to 750hp or something obscene like that). My car never runs over 185 degrees now.

Well now I want electric fans. Probably dual? Any info on CFM and more importantly how are you guys mounting them?? This has been an area of interest because I've seen anything from zip ties thru the radiator to custom aluminum brackets aftermarket. Also then will I need stronger alternator?

Any help is much appreciated guys!
    -MBM

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Take a look at the 4th gen Camaro dual fan set up. They can be had for a good price at junkyards most of the time and fit our cars extremely well. The shroud they come in will slide in to the bottom of the core support and at the top the factory cover over the top of the radiator holds it in place. If I recall I might of done a tiny bit of trimming on the shroud but I believe it still fit without it. I would recommend upgrading the alternator but there are a few good threads for that if you search the site.

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm running a two speed mid-90's Ford Taurus fan. Cheap as dirt on ebay and they move a ridiculous amount of air.

On my website, I have short write up on how to install it.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    You might of opened up a can of worms about the mech. fan but I'm with the electric fan crowd. I'm using the big single, 2 speed Thunderbird fan. Another junk yard find. Had it for 4 yrs now, works well in this Texas heat.

5. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

May 27, 2006
    Plenty of good options from the wrecking yards. Take a gander at the topic *How much power does a mechanical fan eat* in this section.

I'd suggest upgrading the alternator before the fan so there's no surprises.

6. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I have a nice dual fan set up from a newer impala that fit right in I had to do very minimal trimming and it looks/ works great. Another member scored us both one for $20ea at a local junkyard, we both upgraded alternators as well 150 amp

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  8. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    [​IMG] 93-97 LT1 fan. fit very well. I like it. 2 separate controllers with 2 different temp sensors.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i use that too, but use a dcc controller

10. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    you mentioned that in another post, but i still dont get what that is or what it does. even after using Dr. google.
    care to enlighten me?