elec choke

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DMSTAINLESS, May 18, 2011.

1. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2010
    ILL
    Hey guys. Anyone know where the elec choke wire goes to on my 80z? I had a friend lay an open wire for hood flaps on the manifold, he thought it went to choke while we were droppin in motor. Anyway i didnt catch it till a few fuses later. Every time i stabbed the gas pedal i blew my guages fuse. I have replaced fuse and all good now, cept i have no juice at choke wire. I just got everthing cleaned and tied up in new wire loom so i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thx.

2. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    The electric choke wire goes to the Engine-on terminal in the fusebox.

Engine Off: -0-vdc
    Engine On: 12vdc

That way you can go to a drive in movie and still start your car when the movie is over.

Yeah... I'm old.

Made an error:
    Key on-engine-off: 12vdc

It's the ACCY position that has the choke wire off so you can start your car
    and listen to the radio when in the Drive-in movie.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's a drive in movie? LOL

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    What Camaro11 says is really important when you hook this up. Make sure no power goes to the choke when key is in accesory position. The electric choke should not be energized when the engine is off because it will overheat. Will eventually burn out the unit or could potentially cause an underhood fire.

5. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2010
    ILL
    Ok thx alot guys. I will look around, i hope it is fused and just a blown fuse. Since it goes to fuse box there wouldnt b any inline fuse would there? It is the stock wire and im sure no mods have been done to it. I was told by a drag racer that i could tap into the 12v wire going to my hei for a quick fix. is this correct? And are u saying it should have 12v when key is turned on but then become unenergized after car is running? Or just make sure trhere is no power when car is off? thx again and sorry for all the questions.

6. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    - No in line fuse on the stock wire.
    - You can tap the HEI, but I wouldn't. The coil draws a lot of power which I wouldn't want to reduce current to HEI coil (just an opinion and I don't have any real facts to back this up)
    - 12v when key is on AND when engine is running. The choke coil should be energized at all times when the engine is running. When running, the engine vaccum draws cool air into that coil to keep it from overheating.
    - Right...no power when the car is off and no power when it is in the accessory position because there is no engine vaccum to cool the choke coil in that sitaution.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It shouldn't matter if the choke has power with the engine off and the ignition in ACCY. After all, it has power anytime the engine is running and that doesn't overheat it. And, with the engine running, the choke gets higher voltage from the alternator than it would from the battery only when the engine isn't running, so more voltage equals more heat. Add the engine heat to the choke heat when the engine runs, and it runs much hotter with the engine running than it ever could with the engine shut off and the choke powered.
    There is no vacuum through my choke coils because it is on the outside of the carb and not connected to the engine vacuum in any way.

8. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Have to disagree with you on this one Gary, but maybe there are big differences between carbs. IF this is a Holley with the electric choke, the choke coil is cooled by engine vacuum though that small fitting with the screen that sits 7-8:00 from the choke cap. When the engine is running, air is drawn through that opening to cool the choke cap. Ask me how I know :eek:

I originally had mine connected to the accessory blade on the fuse panel and one day while listening to my stereo, I smelled something hot. The choke cap had started to melt. Called Holley and got a replacement choke coil and cap and the tech informed me about the cooling mechanism and pointed me to my installation manual that states that the positive lead of the choke cap "must be connected to an ignition activated 12-volt source and not an accessory power source. The choke must not be energized for any period of time without the engine running".

I thought the same thing you did...that with engine running, it would be very hot. It isn't...after installing the new cap, and driving around one day, I touched the cap and it was warm, but not too hot to touch. Try running it to the accessory lead without the engine running...it will burn you at the touch.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  9. natelee383

natelee383 New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    NC
    so where could you pick up a ignition activated sorse under the hood

10. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    The under the hood option would be the HEI power wire. If you have points ignition with the resistor wire that won't work. Some use the wiper positive lead but that isn't ignition activated. Maybe someone else can chime in within other suggestions. I ran a dedicated wire thorugh the firewall to the fuse box. It's pretty easy to do.