Edelbrock Performer, or Edelbrock Air Gap?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mean79z28, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Mean79z28

Mean79z28 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Wyoming
    Hey guys, I've heard wonderful things about the RPM Air Gap intake manifold from Edelbrock, but I've also heard that it suffers in cold weather. Now, in Wyoming, that could be at any time. So, how much more power will I see out of the Air Gap then the regular RPM intake, and how much does the Air Gap actually suffer in the cold weather? If it's a substantial amount, and the HP difference isn't that big between the two intakes, I'm thinking of just sticking with the RPM performer. Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    i Have A New Performer Intake, Might Sell

3. RustoRod

RustoRod Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dover Delaware
    The one difference that Edelbrock doesn't mention is the notch in the plenum divider. The tech man at Chevy High Performance magazine says if you make that notch the difference is only a few horsepower.

4. Mean79z28

Mean79z28 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Wyoming
    How exactly do you make the notch?

5. RustoRod

RustoRod Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dover Delaware
    I believe the notch is 1/2 inch deep by 2.65 inch long. The factory manifold has a very square corner to the cut like it was done in a mill. I use a 3/8 inch ball in a die grinder with a slotted plate for a template that indexes off the carb studs. To find the notch location I use a set of digital calipers to find the point where the plenum divider gets wider on each side of the manifold. Where the divider starts to widen is where the notch begins or ends :bowtie:bowtie:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  6. Mean79z28

Mean79z28 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Wyoming
    And if no work is done with the notch what is the usual HP difference?

7. Mean79z28

Mean79z28 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Wyoming
  8. RustoRod

RustoRod Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dover Delaware
    I really thought someone would have tried this back to back on a dyno. I have talked to a few engine builders that rave about the rpm air gap but do not care for the standard rpm. I can only find 2 differences besides the air gap. One is the notch the other is the pattern on the plenum floor below the carburetor. I tried talking to the techline at edelbrock and the guy is pretty much reading the catalog to me. Someone who comes to this site must have some insight on this.:happy:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  9. Mean79z28

Mean79z28 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Wyoming
    Well, the only thing that's keeping me from the air gap is the running poorly in cold weather, which I've heard of. Any insight on that?

10. zachisageek

zachisageek Veteran Member

May 3, 2007
    Greenfield, WI
    Mine ran great in ~35-40* weather... it was hard to start but I think that may be due to the lack of choke.