Ecm location

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by greencamaro1981, Jan 21, 2018.

1. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    About 90% done on my swap, just mounted my computer on the driver front of the inner fender well, where the charcoal filter was. I have enough length to mount inside by the trans tunnel but will have to drill hole in firewall. Is the computer ok in the elements? I keep thinking removing pins allows moisture in. Or am I being paranoid?

2. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    If you're using a factory 4th or 5th gen then yes. They live in the engine compartments of those cars. If it's aftermarket then check with the manufacturer.

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    If its an 81, There is already a hole in the firewall for the original computer wire harness. Unless, of course, you're already using it for other things. If the computer you have was originally placed in the engine compartment, no need to worry about moisture. its a sealed unit and the wire plugs have seals on them, as well.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don’t know of a factory ECM that’s not under the hood. The unit as well as the pins in the connectors are environmentally sealed, it’s fine under the hood. Just don’t put it in a area where it will soaked with water.

5. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    Yes I reworked the factory harness for the lm7 and have the factory computer, it lived in the bay of the yukon so it should be fine where it is, it's pretty much right behind driver headlight , with the factory mount and cover on it

6. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    If i remeber right they have plugs you can get to seal the openings where you pulled wires if i read your first post right. I still have to figure out where im going to be mounting everything. Im wanting it inside though.

7. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    All Vortec, all LSx PCM can be installed in engine compartment, only TBI/TPI and first LT1 ECM cannot be installed there if used on rainy days as they are not prepared to be water resistant. LM7 is LSx style PCM

best regards

8. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    I'm putting my inside...

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    If there was a good place to install it inside I would have too, space is limited to flat mount it....wish I had welding skills

10. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Welding is easy. Getting it to look good is the hard part...;)

WASyL likes this.