Ebay is just getting crazy now

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by LS1 1971, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    I went a little higher than you Dave, but far short of the top bid. I think this is the guy Ron talked to a month ago. I made him an offer thru Ron and it was declined. I don't bash people for asking what they want for parts...I figure it's my choice whether to say yes or no and then just go on with life...but, with that being said, it is high prices for hard to find items that drive the repop industry. Just wish the repop fuel line brackets had the correct stamp markings.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Agree completely. The market will ultimately determine the value. The seller no-selled this time, but may relist it the same or reduce it. Its up to use as buyers to determine its value.

Not sure if in this case the Stamp-Rite company that originally made the bracket is in existence, but if so you would think a licensing deal could have been made made to allow the correct id stamp. The bracket could have reasonably doubled in value to Paragon (who repops the bracket). The repop is very close and to me and only lacks the correct ID stamp and maybe the finish (still not sure if its supposed to be black oxide plated or zinc or manganese phosphate, or left un-plated).

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Probably because the nut isn't an original and the seller plans to use the listing in auctions for a hundred other different parts that he plans to sell. The more something is worth the more it is worth forging.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ

With the "price gouging" mentality you could also debate if it is ethical to sell cars for 5 million dollars when they only cost 5 thousand when new. Of course if the owner of the 5 million dollar car needs a $200 wing nut he must be presenting the car as 100% original and if it is 100% original why does it need the wing nut at all? Where is the original wing nut?

6. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Or....WHO,....is the original wing nut?

budro6968 likes this.
  7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    It probably fell down inside the carb and is waiting to get jarred around enough to get into the combustion chamber to get hammered. Happened to a friend that had a 71 Lemans. He just didn't care. When it happened we a laughed. It took a while though.