Earlysecond's SECOND Attempt '70 Coupe

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by earlysecond, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear this.. I wish you all the best, and I hope the situation comes up in the best way possible

2. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

+1 I hope everything works out Brent

3. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Back to car restoration. HOT in the garage but I got the car about half jammed. 1 door and the trunk area and decklid. I wish I was much more in love with my color selection. It is pretty close to Mulsane Blue BUT much more electric with a green shimmer pearl intercoat which make is pop a little. It is just a bit ho-hum but I wanted to return the car to close to original color so this was the compromise. Hopefully, I will like it more when I start spraying the outside of the car. I am pleased that my paint technique has greatly improved. I need to jam the passenger door, fenders and perform a final block and seal. Then comes extensive cleaning of the car and the garage, the re-creation of my "paint booth" masking and the beginning of the staged, perfect paint job which is more of a process. I may take some time off of work later this week. At the point it becomes photo worthy, I will break down and provide some shots.
    Brent

4. Alki73

Alki73 Member

Damnit this thread was a joy to read until the last page. The fact that you have to sell your car is bad enough but your marriage to. I don't know your situation but just remember to do right by the kids whatever you decide. Now is not the time to be spiteful or imature. Good luck to you in the future.

5. earlysecond

Alki,
    Sorry for the buzz kill. It will all turn out all right, in the end.

6. earlysecond

On a positive note (I hate threads that are downers) I have created and mixed my own custom basecoat, jammed the car. Applied a "final" coat of SPI epoxy to block, fixed some minor stuff I missed with icing, begun to clean and mask my car.

IF all goes as planned and the weather cooperates, I MAY have the first stage of the SPI "perfect paint job" complete by this upcoming weekend. That would be basecoat and 3-4 coats of clear.

From there, the rest of the process (which I do not recommend doing this way exactly the way I will) completely DRY sand the car with 500 grit and a soft long, and small blocks. Paint my ghost stripes with pearl intercoat then apply 3-4 more coats of clear. At that point, I will wetsand and cut and polish to perfection.

I WILL post pictures after the first stage. During the course of this week, I need to finish my final block with 500, clean my garage and turn it into a booth. Making the booth right and giving it a good cleaning after 2 years of bodywork will take at least 2 5-6 hour nights of work. I want to change all the bulbs in my home crossdraft booth as I was struggling a bit when spraying my final epoxy coat. I will need a case of new 4' bulbs and will still need more.

This is the part that I like most. . . .painting. All the rest is just tedious prep work. Replacing panels, is rewarding. Panel alignment, especially the doors is a pain in the rear!!

While I know the car will never be perfect, I am hoping that it is better than last time (which was not really that terrible)

As things stand right now, I will likely be selling this car upon completion of paint and re-assmebly. Somebody is going to benefit from the labors of my love. I may try to keep it and sell other stuff but that remains uncertain. Not sure the best way to get a fair price. I am thinking that I will badge it in SS dress and sell it as a tribute resotmod. Nice car though. Not sure that I ever talked about the other features. 383 stroker, mild LT1 (early pink rod motor) cam, T-56 6 speed, posi rear with sway bar. I have a fairly stock, black interior in the car with correct 1970 seats and will likely add some nice, aftermarket gaugus to it.

Brent

7. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds good Brent...can't wait to see some pic's!

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Ditto! Good luck Brent with the shoot.

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For those of you reading this, Brent passed away suddenly on February 5, 2017. I don't know if he finished what he wanted to do with his car. I enjoyed many discussions with him.

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well that just ruined my day