Early 2nd Gen with L88 hood.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Mr.Bill, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Sparks, Nevada
    I am thinking of getting an L88 hood for my 72, What I would like to see is some pictures from those that have one on a 70-73 Camaro.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mr.Bill
    Merry Christmas.

2. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Here's a few of mine. Let me know if you want any particular angle other than these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Sparks, Nevada
    Thank You Sir.
    The reason I am thinking of going a L88 hood is for the clearance, I have a 468 BB and have a 2" cowl hood now and I have to use a drop air cleaner base and I really don't like it, I feel the drop down base really restricts the incoming air and was thinking the L88 would give me more room for a larger filter without the drop down base.
    Plus I like the looks.

4. cws455

cws455 Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2009
    La Porte, IN
    That is a very nice Looking camaro. I love that hood.

5. fnoblitt

fnoblitt Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2009
    riverside calif.
    your better off putting an l88 scoop on your stock hood,rather than having the nightmares of getting a fiberglass hood to fit right.

6. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Sparks, Nevada
    I thought of that also, But the cost to have someone do it for me isn't in the cards, I have access to a VFN L88 bolt on hood for 100 bucks and I can paint it.
    My hood now is a steel 2" cowl and I would like to keep it that way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A guy I knew back in the day had an L88 hood on his Camaro, he said the main drawback is that it held water after it rained or washing it (obviously), and you had to make sure and soak up the water or it would stain/fade the paint.

8. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Yep, mine did too back then so...I drilled 3 holes in mine and with the longer style L88 scoop (towards the front) the rain drained onto the fan shroud which directed it to the ground. Nowadays it don't see rain! :)

9. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
    Heres my L88 hood....Its on an 81, but i thought id show you anyways
    Merry Ho Ho
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    I ran an L88 fiberglass hood back in the late 70's on my 72 and it fit quite well. It was a Harwood and bolted to the stock hinges with hood pins. I used lighter tension springs from the hardware store. I never drilled holes, so I always had to dry the water puddle in the middle of the hood when it rained. Mine was painted similar to cws455's car with regular stripes straight over the hood. I'll try to find a picture to post. -Mike

OK, found a couple, sorry for the poor quality, these pictures are 30+ years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012