E-Bay 69/70 Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by exracer29, Apr 26, 2007.

1. exracer29

exracer29 New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello, everybody. New guy here. I have owned a 69 and a 701/2 Camaro in the past and am looking to get back in the game again. I found this Camaro on e-Bay and I really like it. The whale tail could go, but my question is- do any of you know if fiberglass whale tails were available aftermarket in 69/70? Doubtfull it was a factory thing. I think the reserve on the car is around $7-8k, and I like cars that are different, should handle pretty good and its a four speed. anyhoo, if anyone has any insights or know anything about the car please let me know.
    Thanks,
    dean- Phoenix, AZ.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...e=ADME:B:RTQ:US:1&viewitem=&item=130104511090

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

exracer29, Welcome to Nastyz28.com!

As for the whale tail, IMHO, these did not start surfacing until the late 70's and early 80's. Judging from the appearance of the car, it was probably built around the mid 80's and it has a few mods like the subframe to firewall braces similar to what Herb Adams VSE advertized. The nice little gusset plate is a detail not found in the Herb Adams parts.

The Trans-Am style flares are a detail that I like from the '70's style road racers but being made of fiberglass, they will crack and be a problem for a car that's daily driven.

Overall, this car is a "Semi-survivor" which was probably built back in the '80's and never updated. Without knowing more details, your assumed reserve price may be a bit high for this vehicle and I would have a tough time paying that much. I would have to see all the details and know more about it before I would pay more than say $4500.00???

Just my opinion.

3. exracer29

exracer29 New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Kamikaze,
    Thanks for the input. The more I think about it, the more uneasy I get about it. things just dont add up. I think I will keep looking- would rather find a car closer to home anyway. Thanks again for the help. In your opinion what would be a decent price for a 70 to 74 4spd small block Camaro that is street worthy. I know there are a lot of variables, but is under 10 grand viable, or am I dreaming?
    Thanks again for the input.
    Dean

4. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I got the exact some rear fender flares on my car. The title thing is kinda strange, you would definetly want to check that out. Sounds like you are already looking for something else. Check back here, there are some great deals here sometimes. Be patient and good luck!!!

5. rgearhead

rgearhead Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 14, 2006
    SOUTHWEST CHICAGO, ILL
    welcome its titled 69 hmm i would be searching for the hiden vins if i was buying,,,verry fishey title story,,,,,,,it was snuck out of the factory durring a union strike,,,,,,,,:screwup:

6. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome exracer29,

That car has been discussed here before.Personally I like the look but I agree with kamikaze...asking too much $$$ and that story just doesn't add up.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

exracer29,

Depending on your local area and how far you're willing to search, I would say that you would be more likely to find a 70-74 small block with an automatic for under $10,000. A 4-speed is also possible but they are getting harder to find. You're in a pretty good area to find some rust free or survivor cars in great shape!

Overall, I've seen some decent but needing a large amount of detail work cars, for a low of $3200. These are cars that might look a little rough but I consider then "Diamonds-In-The-Rough" that need some cleaning up and attention to little annoying problems that some people don't have the patience, time, or knowledge how to fix. Many times, these are cars that are so close to running but someone lost interest, money, or whatever. In other cases, it was a car purchased with the intention of "Fixing-up" but they just never get to it do to many reasons.

So, obviously, you have an idea of what you'd like to find. You've had a 1st and 2nd gen previously. I think the basic car you're looking for is available from 0 to $6500. Not knowing your abilities, resources and experience, my opinion may not have much bearing because you have to be the judge of what's best for YOU! We're here to offer our opinions, experiences, and moral support for your benefit.

You've just got to hunt down the "right" one for you!

Good Luck!

8. zgator

zgator Veteran Member

I don't like a standard front with the RS bumpers.Never have.If it's not an RS then leave it alone unless you plan on doing it right.:screwup:

9. RobSS1113

RobSS1113 Veteran Member

May 4, 2004
    Harlingen,Tx,U.S.A.
    whale fin, fender flares .............. Blah .. I wish I had the smilly that throws up .

that talk about it being a 69 camaro and such , sounds like _____ to me .

Can you imagine going to the tax office and telling the lady ... " yeah its a 69 , cause 8 of these were snuck out the back door , for illegal street racing , back in the day ."

im sorry .. You got good taste in the early 2nd gens , BUT start with something better than that one.

just my honest opinion

Rob.

10. exracer29

exracer29 New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have moved on. I will keep looking around for less molested one.
    Kamakazi- I am pretty competent with car building, but I would rather start with a clean Southwest car maybe even sans engine and trans. I have to have a manual car though, so I guess I could start with an auto and swap to one of the newer 5 speeds that are all the rage now. My 70 1/2 had a stock 350/2brl with a Saginaw, and though it wasnt fast, it was so much more fun to drive than my slush- bucket '69 was.
    Anyhoo, thanks again to everyone. I have added the site to my favorites and will do some lurking until I find another car.
    Dean.