Dulling shiny over the counter aluminum Z28 valve covers

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by COPO, Feb 12, 2018.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I used to paint horse trailers years ago. On the aluminum corrugated sides the boss had me use something called Aluma- brite to brighten two stripes down each side. I would mask off then paint. after paint rub that on with a sponge and the wipe off and spray with water to deactivate. It made it so bright whitish. He left it bare no clear. Maybe use some acid type wheel cleaner to get the results. I used easy off on my grill and it does turn spots black. Don't use it.

2. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    alodine-
    I buy it at the welding supply where I buy tig wire and gasses - it is used to remove oxidized Aluminum and leave a bare surface which can be welded. I use it on steering box covers, valve covers, any die cast aluminum parts basically.

Attached Files:

70lt1z28 likes this.
  3. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Definition from the web below...and there seem to be many types of Alodine. Which one do you use? 1001, 1200, 1201 , etc.......

"Alodine
    is an international brand name for Henkel Technologies' conversion, anodizing and functional coatings suitable for use on aluminum, magnesium and other non-ferrous alloys. These coatings provide improved corrosion protection and paint adhesion."

4. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    It is out at the shop - I will check tomorrow - it comes in a quart and really dulls it down nicely, I only recently started using Alodine, it works much easier than what I had done in the past -- oven cleaner and a piece 000 or 0000 steel wool. The steering box cover had been sand blasted GRRRRR - I used scotch brite and smoothed it up them wiped it with ALODINE.

5. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Looks like it works well, thanks