dull rims

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by cars4life, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    Don't get the power ball Waste of money and it will wear easily.... Get the one with the cloth type fabric material.

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    It all depens on the wheels

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    We have a winner IMO.

Their condition determines what needs to be done. Heck, they may even need to be sanded before polishing.

Or just sanded.

Post some pictures.

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Yes we need pics

5. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    pictures

Yes, I agree doctors. We need pictures. We simply cannot proceed in a meaningful diagnosis for this condition without visual confirmation of the patient's full state of deterioration.

6. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Zombie thread...

Back from the dead...oh well--Spring is time to clean wheels and everything else for those of us whose roads are just getting cleared of salt/sand now.

7. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I buy an aluminum brightner from Napa called "Mac's". It's basically a high dose of Phosphoric acid. I spray soak the wheels from the bottom up (so the acid don't run down and streak) and watch it fizz - light brushing with a soft brush will help, when the fizzing settles down I spray soak another good coat of this acid on the wheel. After a couple coats of acid torture, the wheels can be rinsed off.
    It leaves a "white" aluminum finish that is ready to polish. The acid wash really evens out the removal of all the corrosion. Polishing is a light duty project from here. I tried a polish at work last year that has a strong ammonia smell from Sharkhide, it worked REALLY well without gumming up. I know I've smelled aluminum polishes like that before in a tin such as Eagle one or similar. A pack of soft clean microfiber towels will need to be sacrificed.:D
    Here's a wheel I put on the wife's DD before I cleaned it up.
    [​IMG]

After an acid bath and light polish:
    [​IMG]

It's not a mirror luster, but the burnishing and corrosion is all evened out. I'm going to try the Sharkhide sealer this year after a polish to see how it holds up.

8. rvalley

rvalley Veteran Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Castalia IA
    i use an aluminum aircraft polish. its a 3 part system to make your rims have a nice chrome appearance. i also use a air powered mini tool with different cloth attachments when cleaning. each rim takes the better part of a day to do.

9. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    No polish will get pitting out.

10. rvalley

rvalley Veteran Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Castalia IA
    correct no polishing will remove pitting you have to sand at that point. here is what i use and also a pic of the result. a lot of work to get the chrome look but well worth it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]