Dropping the front end affordably

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jimrr, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    There's an excellent article in Rod and Kulture winter 2018 on the bookstads right now. It's how to lower the front by stepping the lower control arm's. It's really straight forward and really just labor......and welding. The great part is this mod retains the stock suspension characteristic's. Suspension travel, ride quality and alignment remain as GM designed, retaining the great ride quality. 1547231116786647554719.jpg 1547231116786647554719.jpg

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    That's really good for someone who has a shop with the proper equipment or if you have access to the shop and equipment.

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Interestingly simple. With no mods to the upper arm I would think you would see more camber gain per unit of suspension compression. From a performance handling perspective I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Are any aftermarket lowers configured in such a way? So no spring changes are needed?

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

SPC lower arms have some drop built into them

6. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Dickson TN.
    retaining stock suspension travel on a lowered car is idiotic at best, it's plain negligent to tell people to do such stupid things.
    The REAL hypocritical part is boasting about keeping the suspension as GM designed it, GM did not design it to be that low with that much travel.
    It also screws up bump steer.
    I probably tell you to keep your too soft factory springs as well.
    I really wish people would stop looking for some magic bullet or a "different" way to accomplish the same thing under the umbrella of calling it "hot rodding" , the truth is there is a right way and a wrong way to do things and this is way wrong for a street car.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    probably look good ....parked somewhere....lol

yeah i can see average Joe keeping the geometry the same... ;) ...probably the same guys that have the ALMOST engineering ability to torch a set of coils after cutting off 2 rounds.."i can torch them so they are soft again....so it doesn't ride to hard"....lol