Drop Spindles?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by MEAN79, Oct 23, 2009.

1. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Please consider installing CHEAP roundy-round adjustable coil spring cans from Speedway and buying the CHEAP short stiff springs you want!

Then adjust your front end ride height wherever you want it.

Looking back, I wished I had!

I don't know about 2nd Gen's, but my 1st Gen will have the outer tie-rod end hit the rim unless you run a big dia. rim so that it fit's inside the back of it due to the drop.

I wish Heidt's would sell a tall forged stock type spindle like they are doing in their 2" drop, BUT W/O the 2" DROP for my 1st Gen. car!!

And even you 2nd Gen guys could run them instead of your cast 1-piece spindles and use Chevelle bolt-on spindle front pointing steering arms and so then you can be creative w/ big front brake rotor CBB installs.

pdq67

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Ok I'm not going with drop.

If I do coil springs up front. Ill do Hothkis lowering springs.

As far as shocks. I want double adjust ones. Just got to figure which ones.

3. noobwrench

noobwrench Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Lodi/Burson California
    Vari-shocks are win.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/vas_home.html

4. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

The majority of my car's suspension is Hotchkis with the double-adjustable VariShocks. Like the tuneability of the shocks and found the suspension excellent for the use of the car (track days, autocross, light street driving).

You'll be able to use a 17x8 (4.5" backspace) for the front and a 17x9.5 (5.5" backspace) for the rear easily. There are a lot of good tires available in sizes that will fit these wheels.

Good luck with your project and hope to see pics of the progress.

Cheers,
    Mary Pozzi

5. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks for all the help guys aand gal! this is the way im going to go on the suspension.

found some nice C5 calipers for 125.00 and gona buy the C5 spindle kit from ebmiller88's site. looks like i can do the front brakes for 750.00

6. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Please hunt up Teetoe Jones at ATS and look into his high-zoot front spindles before you drop a dime.

I want to say that they are SOTA!!

If you do contact Teetoe, please say hello from ol' pdq67 for me.

pdq67

PS., only deal is, is that I don't know if they will fit a 2nd. Gen. or not? Should...

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    They don't fit 2nd gens out of the box. They are setup for rear steer

I have heard they can be made to work, but I'm not sure what goes into it

8. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Thanks Lowend for your input and not doubting you at all, but OP please contact Teetoe one-on-one and flat ask him. He's good people by me.

I ran the numbers for making 1.5" taller forged 1st Gen. stock type spindles years ago and the forging dies alone were like $40,000 or more to do it.

pdq67
    BSME/EIT

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

ask PolarBear, he knows.

10. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    I guess what I am saying is to ask Teetoe up front why they don't fit 2nd Gen's??

pdq67