Drop Spindles?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by MEAN79, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I got my front sub, back from the body shop. and they checked and straiten it out. it had just a hair of twist. but is all good now.

anyways Yesterday I welded the seems on the frame. (GM's welding leaves little to write home about:bowtie: )

I got the paint ordered for the frame and will be ordering the control arms and spindles in two weeks! But i am doing coil overs up front and was wondering who makes drop spindles for our cars?

I don't want to lose suspension travel. or should i just use stock? either way who makes stock/drop spindles for us.

here's a link to my progress thread with a pick of my frame! ill add more after work today.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158165&page=2

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Drop spindles for 2nd gens have proven to be a loser over the years.

Your best bet is to use lowering springs, and if you need spindles, get a set of B-Body's so you can do a big-bearing/12" brake swap

3. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. Ill look into the B body spindles. I would prefer coil over's up front. I want my car to handle as good as possible. Plus I can adjust ride hight better.

Or are these just a bad idea?

4. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    Each way has its ups and downs lowering springs vs. drop spindles. Everybody always say that rub on the tierod is the major problem but my car doesnt even come close with 17x8 wheels on the front with mcgauphys drop spindles.

5. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I do plan on running a 17 wheel. That is as wide as possible without rubbing. I don't really plan on auto X with it. Just want to be able to keep up with modern cars.

6. noobwrench

noobwrench Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Lodi/Burson California
    Dont ever use drop spindles on any second gen camaro for any reason ever!

7. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I would like to get a 2 inch drop on the front. Just don't want to sacrifice suspension travel. So I figured drop spindel was the way to go.

Getting the vibe that's not a good idea ;)

8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I keep hearing it's a bad idea without any reasons why. The advantage I see is that when you run a drop spring, it puts the control arms back up at the right level so you still have full range of suspension travel. I think a tall upper ball joint would already do that for the UCA but the LCA starts getting really close to the spring pocket part of the frame with a regular spindle as you lower the car.

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Coilovers do not = performance handling by themselves; in fact I really dislike the QA1 coilovers for these cars.

The suspension travel isn't a problem. You will run out of wheel-well before you run out of suspension travel. Lower springs have a higher rate (stiffer) than stockers, so they actually serve better than spindles to keep the tires out of the wheel wells

10. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    IL
    Let me point out a couple things, tall upper ball joints will not restore upper A-arm agle after lowering, in fact it will further "tip" them up not a bad thing it will increase neg. camber gain.

Next why would you want to lower a car and not limit the suspension travel and retain soft springs? this is a receipe for bottoming out on the road.

QUOTE "I keep hearing it's a bad idea without any reasons why"
    this has been covered here and other sites more than once, but I'll go over it again: drop spindles DO affect geometry (even though the manufacturers claim they don't), scrub radius, in order to correct scrub radius and/or run a fair sise tire on the front of a Camaro you need more back space but drop spindles cause interference between the wheel and steering arm, so the short of the story is they are a waste of money because you still need stiffer springs when the car is lowered.