Drivetrain identification and value

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Tank Sinatra, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Recently I picked up a 72 from a guy that I plan on using for a pretty big project. I'm completely new to second Gen Camaros, but I love the body so that's what I chose for this project.

I paid a little more than I wanted for the car but on the plus side, it runs and drives. I'm hoping that by selling the engine, transmission I'll be able to recoup a few bucks and use them to spend on the project. The guy selling it assured me that because the engine and transmission were correct for a '72 that they would sell for more because of the strike there were less made, etc... I don't know how true that is so I'm hoping to get some input on what they're worth.

I crawled all around the thing today looking for numbers. The transmission was easy, judging from the pan, it is a TH350, and the partial VIN by the bellhousing matched the frame VIN so it is indeed a '72 TH350, but I'm kind of thinking since anyone that buys it, it won't match their VIN so why would it be worth any more even if it is a '72? It also seems to leak a little, should I rebuild it or just sell it as-is? What's it worth? Judging from an Ebay search maybe $100? $200 if I'm lucky? Not quite what I hoped but every dollar helps I guess!

As for the engine I think I need a little help with the ID... I got what I understand is the partial VIN and engine ID from behind the alternator. First number is 16J141709, that's the partial VIN? Not the same as the frame VIN... Oh well I'm not trying to do a numbers matching restoration anyway. I think I've decoded the Engine ID stamping, V0930CKT which I believe reads as Flint, September 30, 350CID, Turbo Hydromatic, Z28 LT1 255HP 4BBL carb. Is that correct? It runs but I'm not going to assume it's in perfect condition. I could rebuild it, but would that be worth it? On ebay it looks like just blocks go for $200-300, so I'm hoping a complete motor will be worth a little more?

Sorry for all the questions, especially for my first post. I'm really beginning to doubt these are worth as much as the guy was implying, but I'm sure you all know the story that the more I can get for these parts, the faster the project will go so I'm hoping I can get a little more informed on exactly how much they're worth or at least a ball park!

Other than that, once I can finally get started I think the project will be interesting to you guys! Lots of fabrication and custom parts, engine and driveline swap, and I plan on documenting it well!

2. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Schererville,In.46375
    Sounds as maybe you have a 72 Z28 motor...what kind of carb on the motor and intake? What is the VIN of the car ?

3. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    That's what I think, too. I'm 99% sure it isn't the original motor anyway. From what I decoded with the vin the car came with a 350, but it isn't a Z28. I'm not really concerned if anything matches the body or not because I'm going to be pulling the motor trans and rear diff. I just want to figure out exactly what I have and see if it's worth selling...

How do you ID the carburetors

VIN is 1087H2N166291

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The VIN on the engine says it came from a 1976 Chevy built at Janesville, WI. No Camaros were ever built in Janesville. They built full size cars most years, so that engine is likely from an Impala, Caprice, or big wagon.
    I'm guessing that if you pull a valve cover, you will see it has push in rocker studs and no guide plates. A 72 Z28 engine would have screw in studs and guide plates.

twozs likes this.
  5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    What did he tell you the 72 engine was worth? Because a running 350 from a 76 is probably worth like $200, at least around my neck of the woods they are.

6. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    That's one of the reasons I'm confused because the partial VIN on the engine doesn't match what the engine ID is telling me (V = flint, 09= month sep, 30 = day, CKT = Z28 350) I haven't found anywhere that lists CKT as anything other than a 72 350 for a Z28. BUT then there's the partial VIN which as you pointed out tells a different story, so I'm at a loss... I will pull a valve cover when I get a minute and see what that tells me.

He didn't give a price, he just said it would be worth a lot more to someone who wanted to build an all 72 car... honestly now that I know a little more about it I think that's probably BS...

7. turboDan

turboDan New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Vernon, Ct.
    What state are you in Tank?

8. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
  9. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Engine is not original to your Camaro. Most likely Impala or Caprice.

10. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Looks like you're right about the valvetrain. I'm still confused about the engine ID stamping apparently saying something else but maybe I'm just reading it wrong? Either way, it's pretty obvious that it isn't a 72 motor based on what you said, and it's probably not worth much...

Now I'm thinking either keep it for some random project down the road, or maybe rebuild it? What is a ball park price for a rebuilt 350 assuming basically stock specs? Sorry for all the questions but I'm used to diesel trucks and motorcycles, no experience with old 350's...