drivers door mirror disassembly

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by pbradshaw, Jun 21, 2014.

1. pbradshaw

pbradshaw New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    philadelphia, pa
    anyone have any thoughts on the best way to remove the flex cable from either the mirror or the inside control without damaging anything? Thanks

2. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Coon Rapids, Mn
    I think its a one pc unit and can't be removed from either end. I say this b cuz I had a broken finger on a cable at the mirror and spent some time trying to figure out how to fix it to no avail. I also have looked around for just a cable and I haven't found one

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    there is no easy way to take the assembly apart without destroying it

4. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    The problem is the pot metal used to attach the knob on the remote. It crumbles pretty easily if you jack with it too much, and the assembly on the mirror isn't removable easily either.

5. pbradshaw

pbradshaw New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    philadelphia, pa
    Thanks Guys for your response, I nguess i will remove and replace with a repop from Ecklers.

6. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    You can use a dremel tool and carefully enlarge the hole in the base of the mirror until it's big enough to pull the control end thru.That's what I did.Once you put the mirror back together you will never know it.

7. pbradshaw

pbradshaw New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    philadelphia, pa
    Thank you, i was able to get this out without causing any damage, i should be able to use it over.