Dream Swap: LS!/T56 into 2nd Gen.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by melissa'sdad, Aug 30, 2006.

1. melissa'sdad

melissa'sdad New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    new jersey
    My kid (79CamaroDiva) has somehow convinced me to go ahead with this swap ( I'd rather put a bb mopar into the chevy, but hey). Seriously, we have acquired an 81 T-top, very clean, and negotiated an LS-1 and a T-56 from different sources. The T-56 is less bellhousing/clutch. Because of her previous antics with my 340/ 3 dueces and A833 trans., and the clutch and bellhousing's spectacular demise under her foot, I really need serious info. on an explosion proof bellhousing, flywheel, clutch assembly. Manufacturer/ part numbers would be helpful.
    She, like her dad, has been taught to drive it like you stole it.
    We (her and I) pulled the front clip off last weekend. Front subframe is coming off next week, to be sent off to the powdecoater.
    The motor comes with the engine harness and computer. What else do we need? I heard painless makes a kit. Do we need to reprogram the computer, if so, what's your recommendation.
    I understand headers are a bear, but since it's my kid and I run a racetrack, they're almost a must. Who would you suggest. I've always found Headmans to fit better than Hookers, in Mopar applications.
    Engine/ Trans mounts: Is there a kit, if there are several who's got the better kit, and why.
    she swears the trans is the double overdrive unit. What are the numbers I should be looking for on the trans to verify the gear ratios?

2. KHShapiro

KHShapiro New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Wichita , KS
  3. x-pauliber

x-pauliber Veteran Member

May 26, 2005
    Luthersburg, PA, U.S.A.
    If it's a t56 6 speed, then it is double overdrive. Go to ls1tech.com and look under the topic of conversions and hybrids. They have stickies at the top to answer most every question you have. I just finished the swap personally so if there's any ?'s you need answered, shoot me a pm.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Dad- check my webpage for some info. The T56s come in a few flavors, but the vast majority out there are-

2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74, .50.

Todd

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Hey 'Dad', I met you on the 20th at your track. I agree. Put a 440 in it!

I think you need make sure what T56 you have - the LT1 ones are different from the LS1 units. That will go a long way in parts selection. McLeod makes a bunch of stuff that might come in handy.

You can get kits/parts for the swap from Tyler at ATS (http://www.t56kit.com/), and Jeff M at Classic Chevy 5 Speed (http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/) is working on this very thing right now. Either may be worth a phone call. ATS also carries the motor mounts and other items of interest for that swap.

The T56 swap has been done a few times around here, search. Or make Diva do it. Put her to work.

Also look at Todd's site:
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/todd80z28/project_pages/T56_Install.htm

6. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    More mopar guys on a camaro site, seems to be a trend.

I spent a night or 2 on the camper floor at atco a year or 2 ago.

As far as your daughters unmatched talent for destruction, a bell housing such as this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCL-8710-15&N=700+115&autoview=sku might work

for a clutch, I am partial to ram powergrip, very nice grip on the street and will handle strip use....not that a camaro owned by your family would ever see track use:
    http://www.ramclutches.com/Specialty products/ls1__lt1__tpi.htm#Powergrip Performance Clutch sets

headers aren't needed on the LS1, go out and find a set of stock manifolds off a 2001+ chevy 6.0 truck, they flow like a flying toilet, and you can have them jetcoated for even more performance.

Your daughter has a buncha info on reprogramming the ECU to remove the VATS/emissions/2nd bank 02 sensors, but anything specific you have questions on, ask away.

-Jeff

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

8. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Seacoast, NH
    If you want A/C and intend to use the LS1 compressor then you need to notch the engine cradle before you powder coat it.

9. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Poquoson, VA USA
    BTW, welcome to the site Diva's Dad ;). Your daughter is a sharp cookie! Hope the LS1 swap goes well. Several folks on here have already done the conversion.

(I'd take a 440 in a heartbeat ;))

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Welcome to the Party , I spoke with your daughter a few times regarding an LS1 purchase and where to purchase it.
    Fparts on Ebay is the most reputable, but along with his reputation comes MUCH higher prices.
    But he's the closest to you so she says.
    I almost got one from him, but I found a low mileage GTO drivetrain in Alabama $2,000 cheaper.

www.speartech.com he's the best guy on the LS1tech forums that the majority of the guys use for this. I just had mine done by him as well. Labels everything very nicely too.

For the LS1 into a 2nd gen , long tube headers, I was told by 3 members with 2nd gen LS1 installs that the Pacesetters were the best. Lesrace82 tried Hookers and sent them back because of the poor fitting of 1 side. These I purchased were a high temp coated set, but they also come in NON coated sets for almost half the cost. This is the model # I was told to purchase. PSM-72C2256 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PSM-72C2256&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I sent mine back 2 weeks ago however because I'm putting sidepipes on my 2nd gen.
    Just ordered them yesterday. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006