Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi! The Big D, Automotive Central? :D

2. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Yes apparently there were a few chain link conversions back in the day, the old man was saying. Said it scared him shitless when I told him it was RHD converted until he saw the way it was done.
    Wants me to digitally map the front suspension using a hand held CMM machine to check it against a mirror of the LHD specs. Think the old tape measure might have to do for now...

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It would be nice to get a nice digital map of the front end but can see that probably isn't really required for our cars. I think a tape measure would give accurate enough measurements considering the level of accuracy that was available when they were built.

4. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    My thoughts entirely. Very excited to have these dimensions, it gives me a starting point now.

I will have to update when the front end is reassembled and measured :)

5. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    image.png
    theres a guy Big Rob at my place from Aus, he's got a 79 RHD T/A, I can't remember where he lives, you guys can meet up.

He's from Broulee, Aus.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. australian z28

australian z28 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Australia
    Hi Liam , Da -Bigguy and Burd ,
    I haven't had my car out for a while , it has been HOT with above average temperatures here in Queensland (day time = 30 to 38 Celsius ) we live on a Brisbane suburb on the bay , car doesn't over heat but is really uncomfortable , this Friday is AUSTRALIA DAY , there is a car rally that we usually go to , depending if it rains , once again uncomfortable in a hot car with the windows up when it rains and don't like re cleaning before re garaging , if I go I will get a few photos to post , on Sunday the Chev Club are holding an All American car show , last year being the Camaro anniversary they had a line up of the various years , sorry didn't get any photos .
    Anyway Liam if I get the car out of the garage I could get a few photos of the front end if you still want , after that if you want specific photos of measurement we could arrange a time so I could get the car up on stands and communicate real time , the car is snug in my garage and to get it set up on stands will take a bit so if we bounce emails back and forth you could have the answers sorted on the one day, let me know?

hey Burd , I have checked where Broulee is , may not drop in on your friend , his place is about fifteen hours drive away , may need to pack a lunch (ha ha), I am a member of the Australian Pontiac Club in Australia , there are heaps of Trans Am's compare to Camaro's in the second gen group in Australia, Firebirds and Mustangs are very popular in the Australian car scene .

Since the influx of imported cars when the Australian dollar was strong a couple of years ago we have seen lots of different types come in , because you don't need to convert a car to RHD if it is over thirty years old it has opened up the American classic cars numbers , I have driven my friends 79 LHD Corvette a couple of times , it is an unusual feeling , alright on the highway but you really have to check before overtaking, I found I drove in the gutter / curb as I was afraid of hitting cars on the other side , one thing I find uncomfortable with my RHD car is that I think there is a bump in the foot well on the RH side front , I am a tall guy and find it cramped around the pedals area , not a lot of room if you are wearing boots , most of the time it is either or hot or mild on the cold side , we say you own one jumper / coat and you may only were it once or twice a year, the only snow we see in Queensland is when we open the fridge . Thongs (flip flops or jandels) are common if you are going on a social, I wear boots all day at work so the thongs come in handy in the cramped foot well of my Camaro , ie you kick them of , problem solved.

anyway nice chatting with you , Wayne

zeventy128 likes this.
  7. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Jeff(Aussietata) lives in Lilydale Victoria. He has a 79 10th anniversary. I think he in the Pontiac club there, he came here to see the Woodward Dreamcruise a few years back.
    I have a buddy also with a Sandman , he lives in Toowoomba.

8. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi Wayne! i am just after some photos of your idler and pitman arms, and of the drag link please :) Your specifications have gone a long way - once the front end is back together I will measure it up.
    Yes foot well is very cramped. I think because the engine is off center to the right, makes the passenger have a lot of room and comfort in our style cars :)

9. australian z28

australian z28 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Australia
    hi Liam
    I have been out yesterday for a drive in my Camaro , I have taken a couple of photos but as discussed when you are close let me know so I can get car on stand and get more comprehensive photos as you require

thanks Wayne IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I just read the whole thread sort of backwards. That is a lot of work. I was thinking of how you got registered B/C of the firewall being modified. The confidential VIN must have been destroyed or moved which here is a no no. Just curious as to what was done about that. Very interesting story.