Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    NewZealand
    hi, possibly going,
    been busy 2 weeks with bad weather etc we had house warming party last night with about 30 people so been flat out getting place ready. was funny we got fence in, lawn leveled and hydro seed sprayed all on saturday afternoon about 2 hours before guests arrived so cutting it fine! Now we are all settled in will have time for a catch up etc
    cheers.

2. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Got halfway through doing the subframe mounts today.

New V Old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had the L/F cage nut break away on me. So off came the inner guard, and a bit of butchering with poly grips and a crow bar. It took over 5 hours to get that bolt free of the nut FML
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for those who want to know what these cage nuts look like.............
    [​IMG]

The front subframe mounts were pretty trashed
    [​IMG]

3. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    All bolted back together, and test drive complete. Definitely feel the suspension working rather than the subframe mounts twisting! Few creaks and groans coming from up front now so I think there's something else thats worn out. Might just be the engine mounts which are shagged too.

4. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Purchased a second hand lower intermediate shaft yesterday. Got it home to change out the old one and found it about 4" too short. Drove back into town to exchange only to find it was the only one with the same end fittings... Took it home and ended up pulling all the good bits off the new one, swapping them to the old shaft and repacking with fresh grease.

[​IMG]
    Click to see the video ^^^^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took it for a test drive and HOLY *&^#!!! What an IMPROVEMENT! I knew the steering shaft wouldn't be helping the steering, but causing that much grief! Holy chit! I can feel the PS box binding so I might attack that today and get it driving freely before taking the beastie for a wheel alignment.

LB