Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    NewZealand
    hi, possibly going,
    been busy 2 weeks with bad weather etc we had house warming party last night with about 30 people so been flat out getting place ready. was funny we got fence in, lawn leveled and hydro seed sprayed all on saturday afternoon about 2 hours before guests arrived so cutting it fine! Now we are all settled in will have time for a catch up etc
    cheers.

2. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Got halfway through doing the subframe mounts today.

New V Old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had the L/F cage nut break away on me. So off came the inner guard, and a bit of butchering with poly grips and a crow bar. It took over 5 hours to get that bolt free of the nut FML
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for those who want to know what these cage nuts look like.............
    [​IMG]

The front subframe mounts were pretty trashed
    [​IMG]

3. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    All bolted back together, and test drive complete. Definitely feel the suspension working rather than the subframe mounts twisting! Few creaks and groans coming from up front now so I think there's something else thats worn out. Might just be the engine mounts which are shagged too.

4. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Purchased a second hand lower intermediate shaft yesterday. Got it home to change out the old one and found it about 4" too short. Drove back into town to exchange only to find it was the only one with the same end fittings... Took it home and ended up pulling all the good bits off the new one, swapping them to the old shaft and repacking with fresh grease.

[​IMG]
    Click to see the video ^^^^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took it for a test drive and HOLY *&^#!!! What an IMPROVEMENT! I knew the steering shaft wouldn't be helping the steering, but causing that much grief! Holy chit! I can feel the PS box binding so I might attack that today and get it driving freely before taking the beastie for a wheel alignment.

LB

5. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi all!
    Kinda back in action after hip surgery, so after driving the car and finding shes bogging really bad I decided to pull the dizzy to clean her up. Turns out the grime was holding it together and it needed a full rebuild... so woops I purchased a new one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
  7. zeventy128

zeventy128 Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Queensland
    Hey mate I am about to embark on this task when home next also (I'm in Oz) I've ordered the parts so should be arriving in next couple of days. Is there anything I have missed? Rubber boot perhaps?

upload_2018-1-9_22-27-43.png

8. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi Zeventy128 !

The lower shaft is almost unserviceable. I found a nasty thread that said a boot from a jeep cherokee (80-90ish i think) would work in terms of replacing the existing one. You'll need a small rod to slide up the inside of the LIS from the rag joint end to smack the upper portion out (if it's a sliding style one, some are riveted together).

http://nastyz28.com/threads/steering-shaft-rebuild-process.92926/

A YJ Jeep steering shaft has the UJ's at either end and is "supposedly" a "drop in" replacement. A lot of people say to keep the rag joint, as it'll stop you breaking your wrists in a car crash however I think if your having a crash that hard steering is going to be the least of your issues!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...aft.TRS0&_nkw=jeep+yj+steering+shaft&_sacat=0

There was actually a brand new lower intermediate shaft from Classic turn up yesterday :)

9. australian z28

australian z28 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Australia
    hi Liam
    I have an 81 Z28 right hand converted with a Holden HQ steering box , I have had the car since 2008 , I live in Brisbane Australia where current laws require a car to be converted to RHD if under thirty years old . I bought my car before the drop of the US dollar , American cars were limited to a point , if you had one you were special but the market was flooded by imports for the couple of years before the US dollar bounced back , I wouldn't say they are dime a dozen but Aussie muscle cars in my opinion are more desirable .If there is any consolation I have only seen about four 81 Z28 in the ten years , the best was a black car from the Gold Coast which was in perfect original condition with low mileage, there are lots of early Camaro and Mustangs but numbers drop off from about 75 onwards , so I think we still have something different , I have picked up a couple of trophies for NEXT GENERATION awards , similar to your storey a lot of reconditioning and undoing modifications had to be done to bring up to reliable service , the car is still a work in progress. I am not a mechanic but enjoy to tinker so if you need any reference points from another RHD car I may be able to help.
    good to see another example south of the equator
    kind regards Wayne
    australia day retro cruise 2017.jpg Cruise night with friends

IMG_1981_2.JPG Manly Halloween street parade 2016

IMG_5714_1.JPG Lakeside Raceway American day

IMG_0491_1[30054].jpg also Lakeside

cam goldcoast2.jpg Track display at Gold Coast 600 Super Cars

IMG_7217.JPG couple other Camaro's heading on the same run west of Brisbane

Attached Files:

10. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi Wanye!

Thanks for the post! My main questions are based around steering!

What pitman arm and idle arms are you using?
    What about the center link? Has is been chopped and changed or reforged?

I would LOVE to get some photos of how its been done, and some measurements if you have the time?

Thanks!
    Liam