Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
  2. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Did the valve lash adjustments as all the rockers were loose. However I have a bit of industrial deafness so at low rpm I can't hear them clicking over the engine noise

[​IMG]20170830_142120

3. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Been a while since last update. So here's a bit to chew on.

There's been something off with the valve timing, so thought it time the manifold comes off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found 3-4 push rods with cracking and deformed heads. This one being the worst.
    [​IMG]

I suspected collapsed lifters, so I cleaned all the lifters and put them back in. Decided to buy a complete set of rods as these ones all showed various signs of wear and deformities around the oil holes and I don't trust them terribly well.

Two of the bolts at the back of the manifold had been stripped, so with the help of an impact screw driver and cold chisel I got them out so two new ones will be needed. Also by the looks and feel of the bolts and manifold, they've had an issue with (vacuum/water?) leaks as there is a lot of RTV all over the gasket . The bolts were all bolted down differently so I dont think they had torqued them. Cleaned it up with a sharp razor blade as best I could and waiting final clean with brake clean before I reassemble.

4. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    NewZealand
    Hi Liam,
    Nice to catch up at the weekend breakfast run.
    Looks like you have been busy!
    Sing out if you need any help or advice i have some good contacts for most things (freight, trans, engine, parts etc)
    Cheers
    Jason

5. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hey! Yes thank you for letting me have a yarn to you :) Would love to catch up and have a bit more time to have a poke around what you've done, and what you would do better/differently.

I have just ordered some subframe bushings. Where would you recommend for a hardware kit? Also looking for all rubber bushings for the rear end.

6. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Nice and clean with new gaskets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New vs old
    [​IMG]

VX Commodore fans and shroud that has been modified to fit the radiator
    [​IMG]

7. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Radiator is pretty stuffed, so when budget permits I am looking at dropping a Spectra CU162 in it until I can put an alloy rad in.

Went to fire it up on Saturday, only to find it flooding and not wanting to run. After a bit of fault finding , Stuck float needle i think. Didn't find any grub when I pulled it apart so I replaced the gasket and away it went no issue.

Subframe bushings are on their way to NZ as we speak. Hoping to get them later this week/early next week and hopefully a couple sunny days can happen and I can get them installed and the front aligned correctly before I am out of action for a couple weeks from surgery.

Every day or two I am attempting to soak all the bolts and mounts with some CRC to get them to loosen up before I try pull them. While I was reading up on the bushing replacement procedure I saw how there are alignment holes for the subframe to mate with. On closer inspection on mine, the LHS subframe alignment holes are waaay out of kilter. This would explain why the LHS door has no gap to the front quarter panel and the paint chips off every time you open the door!

All the mounts are pretty poked. when we lower it off a car lift, you can see the front of the car twist up and hear all the creaking of the mounts!! Inspires a lot of confidence!!!

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice work man, how'd you get on with the steering geometry?

Worth checking out ADRAD if you're keen on an ally radiator. They have 70-81 camaro radiators as a stock item and are a really nice alternative to the stuff from becool and griffin $$

9. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Thanks Scott51 !! Definitely want an Alloy radiator in the near future.

Car is booked to be fit in at some stage with the engineer still. I've been placed on a credit-stop by the better half ;) Off work with injury presently so I have a bit of time to tinker but not a lot to spend on parts! Hah the joy!

Waiting for the new body mounts, and all the new A-Arms with Poly Bushings etc from the states which are probably 10 weeks or so away so time is my ally here. They're currently at my old mans workshop in LA.

I did a few experiments flipping the drag link and changing tie rods over etc and I'm convinced it's just needing a mirror image drag link manufactured but it doesn't hurt to get everything checked correctly and maybe get it tweaked for better driving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hey Jason are you going to November's Kustom's meet?