Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm in Auckland messing with a '77 street strip car and have found these guys to be great for repro parts -
    https://www.musclecarparts.co.nz/
    http://www.retroauto.co.nz/

PG Hydraulics also did a really nice job rebuilding and revalving my PS box, worth giving them a call if you get stuck with parts for the HQ box.

A friend of mine just finished putting together a really nice set of gauges for his 71 using a facia from classic industries and gauges from segedins. Can send you a pic and some details if you're interested?

2. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Nice! Thanks for the links! I've got a US postal address set up so I am ordering direct from Rockauto, Jegs, Summit and Classic and its costing next to nothing in freight. (comparatively)

A pic would be nice! I did the box with the help of a mate (mechanic). I'm a sparky so I trade sparky work for mechanical work/workshop time hah! I think I need to redo the pump as at idle and low speeds I get a nasty shudder in the steering when turning the wheels. That, or maybe I start with a new drive belt and tighten it a little.

I need to re do the seal on the front of the trans behind the torque converter i think. I have a lot of ATF leaking out the bottom at the inspection plate in the bellhousing. Thinking about pulling the entire trans, and redoing the seals while giving it a full service and installing a shift kit i have en route from summit. Maybe trans mounts replaced while im in there.

the other thing to do, is i have found a safety switch adapter plate ->
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/401339236940

since my trans doesnt have the linkages going from the steering column to the shifter due to the RHD conversion, I have no reverse lights. I jimmied up a switch under the dash so I can turn them on, but having them linked into the shifter would be excellent :)

What do you think? Have you worked with shift kits before? anything to be aware of with stresses on the drivetrain? I would like to put in a high stall torque converter at some stage but my understanding is that I need to dyno the engine in order to figure out what RPM to get. Aaaand change the gears in the back. Therefore i might as well rebuild the engine first, as it leaks oil and has a bit of blow-by....

Siiigh the list never ends! Good thing the better half wants a Mk1 Fastback Mustang - she's a bit of a petrol head and quite understanding ;)

3. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    No real experience working on auto trannies sorry, but mines got a TH400 with shift kit, manual valve body, reverse pattern and a b&m quiksilver ratchet shifter. Think the converter is 3500 stall. Was my my daily driver at one stage and I really liked it

Previous owner was running in the high 11s on Hoosier quiktime slicks with stock drive shaft, LSD 10 bolt, shagged factory leafs, some cheap Koni adjustable shocks and homemade slapper bars. I did manage to wreck the engine (was pretty tired) but no problems with the drivetrain, might be a different story with my new setup tho

4. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    That's very impressive! I would like to get my beast to "Threat" status on the strip. Gonna take a bit to get there though....

I will be rebuilding the engine myself (with assistance) so I there will be a heap of questions over the next few months as I gather parts to rebuild the engine next winter...!

5. What kind of shifter are you running? If its something like a B&M shifter, or anything other aftermarket it will probably not use the originale reverse light linkage. Most of the time the aftermarket shifters use microswitches with a dimple plate to trigger the lights.
    Worth to take a look at the shifter and its base beneath the console before ordering anything.

6. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hi Falloutboy, uses the original shifter. Theres a switch been jimmied up so the car only starts with the shifter in park.

7. Ok, well than, yes, u need to either fab up a micro switch that triggers the OE reverse light switch or to fabricate a linkage again.

8. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Yep thats the idea with the lokar adapter.

made a very rookie move and never checked that the old oil filter seal was still in the old oil filter...
    [​IMG]20170806_133243

Changed all the spark plugs and the thermostat while i was there
    [​IMG]20170807_171308

[​IMG]20170807_171320

9. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    The new pitman arm turned up this morning. Straight away cleaned it up, primered it and just gave it a coat of paint.

Bit of a quick comparison between the two arms
    [​IMG]20170814_154936
    [​IMG]20170814_154959

The arm now clears the chassis rail!
    [​IMG]20170814_160237
    [​IMG]20170814_160246

It has also now leveled up my drag link, which makes it looks a bit tidier!

[​IMG]20170814_160415

You can sorta see there, the RHS tie rod inner, just hits the subframe before full lock is achieved. However, it rotates up and out the way, and i don't think it wil cause any major issues, but I will monitor the condition of the BJ for the next wee while anyway.

10. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the left wheel bearing has been rumbling, and getting worse. After pulling the hub off the spindle and gently tapping the bearings out... the inner one is completely poked!

It even looks like the inner race has had the edge chamfered from wear! Holy cow!

[​IMG]20170814_162845
    [​IMG]20170814_165603
    [​IMG]20170814_165606