Downunder '81 Berlinetta RHD

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Liam Beale, May 24, 2017.

1. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Hey all,

Ive recently picked up an '81 Berlinetta T-Top. Right hand drive, and a 350 SBC (naturally).

It was running really rough on purchase. Timing was at 4 deg!! Brought up to 12deg. Carb was black, so have run a can of carb cleaner through it, and replaced the spring.

I have picked up a vacuum gauge and a holley rebuild kit, as I plan on getting stuck into the carb properly over the coming weeks. It does appear that the vacuum secondaries are not kicking in, as there is a bolt through the mechanism!

Few plans in motion for this beastie.

2. Mario 1973

Mario 1973 New Member

May 24, 2017
    Hi Liam
    Car looks nice! I see from license plates you are in NZ. I'm planning on moving back to NZ from UK and buying a camaro, (if enough money left after buying a house and moving costs!) but not sure if I will import from states or buy local? Interested to know how much you paid for the car? Thanks

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome, that is a very nice looking car! Looking forward to seeing lots more pics as you get to work on her.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Welcome aboard. Really nice looking car.

5. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
  7. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. Liam Beale

Liam Beale Member

May 17, 2017
    The right hand drive conversion has used an HQ Holden power steering box. It was leaking so I pulled it out and started reconditioning it.
    No photos of that, yet....

However, one of the bearings inside on the input shaft was totally stuffed. What we found was that the previous owner had put 2" drop springs in the front. This caused the upper A arms to foul the RHD steering column. This has put so much sideways thrust onto the column, that it has shagged the knuckle at the firewall, and chewed out the bearing and the race on the input shaft of the power steering box!!!

When pulling the input shaft apart in the gear puller, a washer that had broken in the valve housing had broken and caused the shaft to break its clips :(

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Welcome aboard.And a nice job considering the challenges you have for parts for a foreign car.There are a few others from there .That visit this site.Maybe you can contact them as well.

Attached Files:

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Right hand drive? I have not seen that before on the Camaro. It seems weird to look at it. Where was the car built? The car looks really nice. Needs Some Duel exhaust if allowed.