Door glass Question?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by smallblockchev, Jan 3, 2018.

1. smallblockchev

smallblockchev Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2011
    st michael, mn
    I've had my car done for some time now, but when i installed the glass in the doors i thought i did everything correctly but with the window down and i shut the door it rattles with it up it shuts real nice up against the weather stripping. It would be nice to shut it with window down and it not sound like a beater car.
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Smallblockchev

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Rattles? Maybe the door hardware is loose inside the door. Do both doors do it? If they do, I'd go ahead and remove the passenger door trim (it's easier) and inspect for the rattle.

One possible source for the rattle is a door lock knob that doesn't go down far enough.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Did you replace the felts ?

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    There is a very good thread on here about adjusting the windows... But I don't know how to find threads on here or stickies but I did come across one one day

5. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    FYI- There are Camaro parts vendors that offer anti-rattle and silencer items for some of the inner door parts like a lock rod silencer, door rod insulators and retaining clips.

zeventy128 likes this.
  6. smallblockchev

smallblockchev Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2011
    st michael, mn
    Everything is new and tight, i even put dyno mat on the door. Do you think its the locking rod thats rattling around?
    With the window up nothing rattles when door shuts, just when window is down it rattles.

7. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    It sounds like you're going to have to take off the interior door panels to identify and fix the rattles. And as FlaJunkie suggested, It would be best to start with the right door.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Take a look at these (for a 1970) and see if you put everything back in. If you missed any parts, the window will rattle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. zeventy128

zeventy128 Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Queensland
    I've just been through this also. When you say "Everything is new and tight" did you ensure the 3 window guides on inner side of glass were all tightened along with a decent amount of felt still on them? I had all 3 on mine and decided to replace them with new ones. The replacement guides were all the same except for the one towards the front of the door (it was wider) once I put all 3 new ones in this made a world of difference.
    [​IMG]

10. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Going through this at the moment. So, it looks like these changed from the 70 model onwards. I've got a 70 and I haven't seen any of those door trim hangers in Junkie's diagram in after market parts. Does anyone sell them?

Secondly, I note the kits available such as that posted above by seventy128, but can anyone explain in what order the top three go? I've got a couple of each type lying around and I want to make sure I position those correctly if I can't get the 70 style trim hangers.

Thanks guys and sorry to hijack the thread.

Darren