Door bushing upgrade and window regulator refresh

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by dave@ztech, Jan 5, 2019.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've always been a guy who did regular maintenance on my vehicles. If you do that, you never need to replace the hinge pins or the hinges themselves. For a few cents each, you can buy new bushings from GM or any decent auto parts store and replace only the cheap bushings. There is no upgrade needed. The original design was better than anything that came later if it is cared for properly.
    Most changes that people today call "upgrade" are really just changes to newer parts that often are inferior to the originals. The end result is a downgrade from original quality.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did an upgrade on the hinges..... I used an old set and welded in some steel where the bushings went (frame side) thenbored them out for roller bearings. Use 2 hardened washers and a roller thrust bearing on the top side.... modified a "stripper bolt" (aka shoulder bolt) with slight mods to the door side hinge.... ;)
    But when you live in a shop (machine shop) for 60+ hrs a week ...these are the things you do. (that was 20 rs ago....:rolleyes:)

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi Gary,
    Did you even take the time to read the article ? It talks about how the bushing wears out and how you can UPGRADE to a GM bushing that will preform better,
    Instead of shelling out for all-new, application-specific hinges, you can purchase a hinge-pin kit for any Chevy square-body pickup and use those to rehab your worn hinges. Second-gen Camaros use a similar hinge pin to the one in the pickup, but with smaller bushings. Simply putting new Camaro hinge pins into an old door usually won’t fix the problem because over time the bushings will spin in the steel hinges and open up the hole. That’s what causes the doors to sag, and just putting in new pins and bushings of the same size won’t solve the issue.
    To me that looks like an easy replacement, going with a better bushing and pin , and then you will have a door that will not sag, unless of course you never open your doors, then I guess it wouldn't matter,
    looks like an easy fix that will help with the heavy doors.
    Thanks

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I read the article. It assumes that the owner will not maintain the car and replace the bushings when they need replacing. Only after the bushings are worn completely through, will the pin start to damage the hinge body. If the bushing is replaced when it gets loose from wear, the hinge is stil perfect. And, if you wait beyond that point, Chevy offers an oversize bushing to repair the worn hole. So, there is no need to change from original design. With the original size bushings and the oversize ones both available for a few cents each from GM, repair is simple.
    I don't know what the writer of the article means by "square-body" pickup, but my '81 pickup uses the same bushings as my Camaro. I have a few of the original size bushings and Chevy's oversize ones in stock in my garage all the time. For pennies, a hinge can be fixed.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Beware of the Dorman bushings you get from most auto parts stores.
    I replaced the bushings in my Jimmy last summer and they cracked and fell apart within 6 months.
    (I read reviews where people shattered several of them just trying to install them.)

I got GM bushings this time.
    $15 dollars for a complete set, for one door. :eek: GM apparently knows the aftermarket ones suck.
    Replacing the hinges wasn't a good option on that vehicle because the hinge halves are welded to the cab and doors. :(

The GM bushings are a much better fit and the one side is a solid bushing rather than being knurled like the fragile Dorman ones.

My Camaro had oval hinge pin holes when I bought it.
    I drilled them out to get the holes round again and used over-sized bushings.
    That was over 25 years ago and they have held up great because I keep them lubed with white lithium grease.

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

dave@ztech likes this.