don't fit-inner window felts CA164A

Discussion in 'Classic Industries' started by Chuck71RS, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The photo shows an original Fisher Body upper door panel
    - Upper green line is bottom edge of the CA164A inner window felt. http://www.classicindustries.com/product/camaro/parts/ca164a.html
    - Bottom line is the original window felt bottom edge. (Two white spots to the right of the oval hole were staple locations)
    The CA164A can not attach to the body panel

I do not know if the outer felts fit for I have not reach the point of installation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2009
    CA
    Some of the worst repro parts I encountered were on the doors. I tossed the top panels and recovered my old ones; the repros were too short. The outer felts fit horribly; I wrote the QA department of the plant that built them and sent them pics. They didn't match the curvature of the door at all. And then there were window gaskets.... tried a couple of those; still can't roll up the windows with the doors closed. And if you can get the door gaskets to stay put, and not roll up or peel off, you are a better installer than I'll ever be..... oh and the interior door panels.... the holes didn't match the door; had to relocate and recut all the holes for the little clips. Oh Oh and the interior door handles were cast wrong and wouldn't open enough if I remember correctly; the poor casting and extra flashing interfered with proper functioning; I used my original latches and the repro bezels just to dress it up a bit. Lots of OER stuff went in the trash pile. More than anything else on the 2nd gen, refurbishing the doors takes tons of patience IMO.

If your expectations are extremely low, and your schedule is flexible, you'll have success eventually....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had same problem with my door panels from PUI. I sent pics showing them how screwed up they were, not a word back from them.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    CI tech pulled a CA164A and fitted it to a panel (repro) they sell. The tech told me it came below the top of the oval opening

He sent to me the CA164a he tested with and I returned the other (w a CI RA).

The replacement set does not fit on a Fisher Body original upper panel. Arriving today, the inner felts have the same incorrect curves as the first set
    - front-to-back.
    - The vertical section that goes against the door can not be flush and have the shinny metal flush on the top edge of the panel