Doing an epoxy floor

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by notstock78, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    I wish I could find time to do mine! Looks great. We should have a garage thread, I bet there are some beauties here!

2. notstock78

notstock78 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Got the furnace off the cieling last night and back on the floor where it belongs. Fired it up to keep the garage at about 70 to help cure the epoxy a little quicker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to start moving the stuff back in this weekend and should be able to park in the garage either Sunday or Monday night.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This weekend I was pretty busy cleaning and moving things back into the garage. I started by cleaning off the bench and cleaning taking a few things out of the shed at a time and cleaning them up. Got the tool boxes back out of the shed and went through them as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing goes back in the garage without getting cleaned up first. This includes the Camaro. This was the first time I washed the car in probably 7 years. I kind of missed it!!

[​IMG]

Then then rolled her back onto the new garage floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nice.

You need a shed. :)

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I hope you keep that garage heated full time in the winter. If you ever let it freeze and get a thin film of moisture on top, you won't be able to walk on that surface, let alone drive on it.
    Epoxy with a thin layer of frost is worse than pure ice.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i never had that problem. but mine has some grit in it.

7. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't keep it heated all the time but it does have the grit in it as well. Being the garage is insulated well, and attached to the house, and cars are parked in there with hot motors every day, I don't think it have ever seen it below 40 even when it is below zero outside.

I hope i will be ok:screwup:

8. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So I have been parking on the floor for about a month now and I only have a couple of complaints. We go snow a little while ago and when I walked into the garage with snow on my shoes, it was slippery. As long as I stopmed off my shoes first, and it was just water on my shoes not snow, the floor is not slippery at all. The second thing that I don't like is when the snow melts off my wife's car and my pickup, all the road grim makes the floor look dirty. The floor did not show as much dirt when it was just concrete.

Other than that, I love the floor, it seems so much brighter in there and really easy to clean up everything from oil to sawdust!!

9. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    I have a prep question. I will be building my shop this winter/spring. However, for the last 16 years I have been using my garage for vehicle maintenance. I am a slob and made several messes on the floor. Everything from 3 gallons of cooking out to countless engine oil spills. My concern is the oil is soaked into the concrete. I thought about buffing/sanding the floor, but not sure that will remove all the old oil. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

10. 70 RS

70 RS Veteran Member

May 27, 2012
    Laveen, AZ
    I have done 2 floors, the first time I used the junk from Home Depot, spills cleaned up well, but here in AZ it gets hot and when I drove on it the paint came up with hot tires. The other was a 2 part epoxy with a clear on top, very hard and durable. It cost me about $600 for the kit.

When you prep it for paint you will want to use muriatic acid from Lowe's or a pool supply store, just poor it straight on the stains and let it set for a 20-30 min, then take a scrub brush and scrub it with gloves and goggles on (safety first) wash with water and repeat. That should take care of the deep stains.
    As for the rest of the floor a 50/50 acid and water mixture with a stiff shop broom and scrub it good, that should clean the top layer of concrete. Don't get to anxious to paint it, make sure its dry, I waited 2 days with the temp outside at 105 degrees. It came out like a