Doing an epoxy floor

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by notstock78, Oct 19, 2013.

1. notstock78

notstock78 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Last Christmas my wife game me the kits to do an epoxy floor in my garage. Obviously I was not going to do it in the middle of the winter so I put it in the closet and figured once spring hit i would do the floor. Well, Spring came and went along with summer with all the other projects I had going on with the house. To be honest, I kind of forgot all about it!

Anyway, now it is time to get going on this.

I started of by degreasing the floor and confirmed that my floor was sealed, kind of. The sealer was gone in some places and still very strong in other places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing the floor had a sealer on it, I rented a grinder and started grinding today after I got done with work.

[​IMG]

I started by wetting down the floor where I was grinding and found that though it kept the dust down, it took allot longer.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I did not get too far and tried it dry and it went allot faster. Luckily it was windy today and the wind blew in the back service door and blew the dust right out the front doors. I still used a respirator mask. Boy do these things help a ton!!

[​IMG]

2. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    After about 6 hours of grinding, then sweeping, and vacuuming the corners out, this is what I was left with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/LIST]

Tomorrow I lay down the epoxy!!!

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

For those interested to read about this subject.........check out the Flloring Forum at www.garagejournal.com

notstock78 is on the right track as PREPARATION IS EVERYTHING....

I had my concrete shop floor Shot Blasted to remove the top "cream" and open up the porosity. I then used a primer product that works as a moisture barrier as I had water vapor transmission coming from the soil below.

I broadcast a full coating of colored chips into my 2nd basecoat of gray epoxy. After
    scraping off excess chips I did one coat of clear epoxy and one coat of clear urethane. Expensive chemicals but good results

I have no pics on my hosting site at this time

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

notstock78, suggest you place ad on your local craigs list to find sections of 24" wide pallet racking for portions of your garage perimeter wall.

Cut vertical sections to fit your ceiling height and place cross beams to whatever height works for you. First beam, first level can be your workbench ........THINK about it!!!!!!!!!!

5. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    CamarosRus, that is an awesome idea. Have you done this? Do you have some pics of it? I would love to see how it turns out!!

I got the epoxy put down yesterday and I think it looks great!! I have done about everything that I could for preparing the surface and I hope it is enough because there is no going back now.

Here is the stuff I was using. My wife did a bunch of research on this stuff before she picked it out for me as the Christmas gift. I did a bunch more after I got it as well and it seems to get good reviews. I know it is not the "commercial" stuff but I think it will be just fine for what I use my garage for. We opted for the "Professional" version rather than the garage version just because it a little bit better reviews for a working garage rather than just parking cars it.

[​IMG]

I mixed up one kit at a time as per the instructions and let it sit for a good 30 min before starting to apply it to the floor. I followed the instructions to the T as I did not want to have any suppresses later on.

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics in progress. Boy was this stuff is strong smelling!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the final product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it turned out really good. It really hides the imperfections in the floor, even though I tried to fix as many of them before I put the epoxy down, there were still allot of them in different places.

I have to say, applying this went really easy. It was like spreading thick paint on the floor. It covered very well. My wife helped me out so much with this as to do it, you would want 2 people.

Next is waiting about 3 days per the instructions before I can start putting things back in the garage. It sounds like about 10 days before the cars can go back in the garage though. The Camaro has not been outside this long in over 10 years!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
  7. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    That looks really good. We have that stuff on the bay floor at work.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
  9. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    looks great.. my brother in law just did his on his new house before moving in and he said it was pretty easy, only problems he had was in areas where he noticed after it was dry and could walk on that didn't get good coverage, so he touched it up with a small brush and those areas are now noticeable because they are not the same texture and glossiness as the rest.. but overall he was pleased, he wont be using the garage except to park the cars, so he was fine with that..

10. notstock78

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks everyone!!

The last couple steps I did was put a top clear coat on with the "grit" in it to keep the floor from being slippery, and caulked all the edges of the garage where the floor meets the walls to try keep some of the bugs out.

I should be able to unstrap the furnace from the ceiling tonight and fire that up to try cure this stuff a little quicker. I am shooting for this weekend to move my stuff back out of the shed into the garage this weekend. I should be able to put the Camaro and park in the garage again on Monday.

I will post some pics once I start to move back in.