DOES 383 NEED SPECIAL OIL PAN?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by thefed, May 7, 2005.

1. thefed

thefed Veteran Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Akron OH
    Im looking for a new pan, and never thought about it really, but my stock oil pan probably wont work with the new 383, will it? I see many that are "stroker clearanced". Any input?

2. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    Most stock oilpans will work with the increased stroke without the rotating ass'y impinging on the pan. Even the early Nova pans will clear a 400 crank. You might consider a deeper pan to get the oil farther away from the crank and reduce your windage losses.

3. thefed

thefed Veteran Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Akron OH
    thats kinda what i thought. my buddy has an aluminum 7 qt pan, non kickout, that hes selling for 150, paid 300, but he isnt racing this year and will sell it (he's taking a big step up, maybe to a bb) it has all the baffles, the windage, bells and whistles, its aluminum...seems like a deal. It also was used with a 383, so I will probably get it.

Now, the deeper pans, like this one, is a 7qt, obviously hold more oil. So to get the oil "farther away" would I only fill it up 5 qts or so, or do i need to fill 'er up? I never used an aftermaket oil pan, so I'm not sure.

4. infbp22

infbp22 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Glendora, CA, USA
    Be sure to re-adjust your oil pump filter screen so it's about an inch from the bottom of the pan like it was original with the 5 qrt.

5. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    You don't want your screen an inch from the bottom of the pan, more like 3/8". No need giving up 5/8" of oil that you might need sometime. You can run 5 quarts in a 7 quart pan and still get plenty of oil to the engine provided the pan is properly baffled. Some guys run as little as 2-1/2 quarts in their pans.

6. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Onovakind has you going down the right path (as always), just wanted to add that most of the 'stroker' oil pans you see in Slummit and Jeggies catalog are refering to 4" stroke, non spread rail block applications. A 'stroker' pan will have small reliefs pushed between the pan bolts in the areas closest to the rod bolts. It just gives you a little 'extra' room for the long stroke motors, and most do little in the way of oil control. By the time you add crank scrapers, screens, rear pan baffles, your really better off investing in a good pan like your buddy has for sale ($150 sounds like a hellofa deal) If the pan and oil control system is doing it's job you could get by with just enough oil in the pan to keep the pickup covered (i.e. the 2-1/2 qt. onovakind mentioned). The other end of that extream is running 7qt in a 7qt pan and beating holes in the oil with the crank. You give up a lot of HP when the crank is splashing through the oil.
    The sbc has a nasty habit of carying 1 to 1-1/2 qt of oil in the upper partion of the motor. If you think about the stock pan with a 4qt capacity,,, there is not a lot left down there to keep the pickup covered. A stock open box of a pan, standard volume oil pumps and rpm's normal to a stock motor, and this isn't a real problem. Introduce high volume pumps, high rpm's, poor oil control and your first sign of problems are burned bearings. Not to mention significant losses in power because the crank is having to spin all this paricitic oil too.
    So what's the happy medium..... Best I can say is measure from the block to the lowest point of the rotating assembly, tray/screen or whatever your using for oil control. Now measure down from the pan rail and make a mark in your pan at that same level. Insert the plug, level the pan, support the pump and pickup in the pan in it's approximate position and start dumping oil in. Just count how many quarts it takes to get to your line. You can adjust from there. 'Typically' 5 qt. in the pan will be enough for even the most oil thirsty sbc's (no matter what capacity they may offer). Once you have a oil level that seems to be right for YOUR package, be sure and mark your dipstick for full on that initial oil fill before startup.

------------------
    Proud member of the "bright side"
    Track toy 9.94 @ 133 n/a Small Block

Weekend Grocery getter 12.3's through the mufflers on DOT's, in street trim

7. Eric68

Eric68 Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Kentwood, MI
    Check out CV products. They make a real nice yet inexpensive oil pan. I think mine coist me right about $275 wit hthe integral windage tray and crank scraper. Its a 7 or 8 quart pan with kicked out sides and a few trap doors.

And if $275 sounds steep just check out some comparable pans by Canton or Hamburger . . .

------------------
    68 Camaro with 383 SBC
    Best ET 10.97 @ 122.8 MPH all motor . . . and no trailer.

8. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    I always put a 3/8" nut, flat, on the high side of my pickup screen and then very carefully lower my pan on top of it so that the pan bottom pushes my pickup down. Then remove the nut and finish fastening my pickup to my oil pump!

This way, I know I have right at 3/8" clearance between them...

pdq67

9. Damn pdq67, thats a slick trick [​IMG]
    Its one of those "why didnt I think of that" kind of things!

------------------
    11.74/118mph, thats all..