Do I have to drop the oil pan to remove the timing chain cover?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by RickM, Dec 2, 2017.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I cant seem to get it off after removing all the bolts.
    I have the one piece felpro pan gasket.
    Can I get away with just removing some of the front oil pan bolts and lowering the pan?

Thanks
    RickM

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Yep unfortunately. The timing cover holds the front part of the oil pan gasket.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    ^ Correct. The pan needs to come down or you will bend the timing cover trying to remove it.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Remove all oil pan bolts and leave the 2 rears loose and you'll be able to remove the timing cover.

5. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Copo your advice is spot on I could not get the pan to drop until all of the bolts were loose. Sounds like you have done this before, if so did you have the felpro reusable one piece seal and did you reuse it with no leaks.

Thanks
    RickM

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    If you clipped the corners of the timing cover where the front lip seal sits on the oil pan before you installed it then, no, you don't even have to loosen up the oil pan. That is SOP whenever installing a new timing cover for me.

Blown Camaro and budro6968 like this.
  7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    NO! I've removed the timing chain cover from too many SBC's without dropping the pan to recall how many dozens I've done!

You pry it of from the top and it'll pop right out. Now getting it back in is the tricky part. You need to take tin snips an trim the edge of the where the pan to cover meet so you can "pop" the cover back on. I used to have a picture of it here from my photobucket account but the link doesn't work!

OBTW, change the timing chain cover seal AND put a repair sleeve on the crank = eliminate a cohttp://nastyz28.com/threads/timing-cover-seal-sbc.241645/#post-2713933mmon leak on a SBC.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Depending on the engine and what it's in, I remove the oil pan for an original equipment timing chain replacement. Back in the day, the factory (and not just GM) used nylon on the chain gears and this will come apart over the years. By removing the oil pan, I can clean all the pieces and other just that builds up. Keep in mind that if it's a pre-catalyst car that ran on leaded fuel, that silvery grey build up is tetraethyl lead build up. Use gloves to clean it. It's highly toxic.

9. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I think that was before the one piece oil pan gasket days. You would have to cut out that nice one piece front seal and install a new one. It's going to be hard to save that front seal without dropping the pan as far as possible (in a Camaro). Those 2 piece timing covers are starting to sound pretty nice about now.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I’m on my second 2 pc. timing cover & both have leaked at the bottom. The second one has 2 screws at the bottom & will leak if I don’t use two gaskets. FYI