DIY work bench build

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by woody80z28, Sep 1, 2010.

1. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your water seperator will work much better if you get some steel or copper pipe run (at leat 10 feet) before the seperator. The air really needs to cool down a bit for the seperator to do its job, also plumb a drain in at a low point in the piping to get rid of accumulated water. ANd for everyone considering doing this kind of work, get on here and ask questions first or go to the library and get a book before starting. Noticed you drywalled the walls first, always do the ceiling first then your wall panels, this will help support the edges of the ceiling panels. And on the electrical, the outside covering on the romex should only show about 1/4 inch into the box (maximum) and then you need at least 6 inches of the conductors. Don't mean to beat up on ya but when I see some obvious mistakes electrical wise I'm just hoping the wiring was done to code so you don't have a fire or electricute your self.

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    So I should have peeled more of the outside insulation away when doing the receptacle boxes? I figured the less the better. I never read about that on any of the how-to's.

3. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Oh and I read about steel piping to help cool the air and separate the vapor. I'm gonna plumb something in at some point.

4. grzewnicki

Yes no more than 1/4" of it inside the box (per National Electric Code-NEC) and then 6 inches of the wires should be showing in the box, also per NEC

5. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I'm just curious...what is the reasoning for peeling more of the insulation away? It seems like the more insulation you left intact, the better it would be.

6. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    I believe it is done that way to put less stress on the connection point. The wires out of the sheath will flex easier when installing the switch or outlet in the box. They will also dissipate heat better.

7. grzewnicki

Not exactly sure, the sheathing, it isn't really insulation, it is just a way to get two conductors and a ground in one nice package that is easy to handle. I just know before I decided to do wiring in my house I picked up the NEC book. I knew all the basics just wanted to be sure I did it "by the book". One factor may be all boxes have a rated capacity (how many wires, connections, clamps {in metal boxes} are allowed in a box. It is easier to bend the exposed conductors when they are out of the sheath also. And it really looks a lot more professional. I just looked at your pic again. You should only strip about 5/8" of insulation off for wrapping in around the screw, and ensure it wraps almost fully around the screw AND in the direction of tightening. I used needlenose to form a nice loop. I highly recommend anyone unfamiliar with electrical get the book Residential wiring to the NEC, covers just about all you need to know for home wiring projects.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801

That is a pic of my workbench.. AKA: junk collection shelf

9. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Haven't posted anything here in a while! Took one of my 15" wheels and turned it in to a hose reel for the garage and added a slop sink. I love that thing. Also got a new jack: pumps faster, drops lower, lifts higher = win, win, win. And enclosed my shelving under my work bench just to clean things up a bit and keep the dust out once I start doing the body work for paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn3YTCb7Bvc&feature=youtu.be
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  10. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Looks nice!!!

Nice Z max Banner!!!