DIY work bench build

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by woody80z28, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Looks awesome Woody. How do you like the water seperators with your compressor? Do you use the lubricator? I know ive seen 2 styles and one had the lubricator but that wouldnt be too good with painting. I hope to have a garage that nice some day lol

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    haha You guys are hilarious!

The water trap & dryer, etc. seem to work fine so far. I'm not using the lubricator yet. I'll put oil in it when I get my second air line set up so I have one oiled & one clean. I actually separated the components so they made more sense with my plumbing job.

Some time this week I should be meeting up with an HVAC friend to plan heat. I'm debating a radiant tube heater vs. an overhead forced hot air box.

3. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    No heat yet still, but it was warm this weekend so I pulled the drivetrain and the SPEC 2 is toast after maybe 3k miles. Didn't find oil on it anywhere either, just friction material dust and tears in the disc. I'm hoping to reuse the pressure plate and slap in a 2+ disc I got secondhand. I'm also upgrading the hydraulics with a braided hose for quicker engagement. The stage 2 is rated for 310tq so it should have been fine with my ~250tq 3.4L, but the 2+ going in is supposed to hold 390. We'll see. I love the SPEC 3+ in my Camaro, but I'm not happy with this Beretta one.

The job went pretty quickly now that my tools are organized. It was a beautiful thing to use MY tools in MY garage where I put them. haha It's a big change from working at my dad's where it's hard to find anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Engine went back together last night after a fresh gasket job and some detailing. Trans should go back together this week once I get a new input shaft seal. Still need to recoat my headers though. ANy tips for stripping ceramic coating off? Hoping to be running by May 1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Pretty handy with the mechanic stuff there Woody.
    That's good, you can keep those cars running for decades with your skills.

Never have a car payment and get sucked into that game. Nice.

6. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I like to be different, and driving a hot-rodded 20-yr old Beretta is definitely different. It can be difficult to get parts cause everything is discontinued and you have to find other options like fab work. Right now I have to figure out how I can replace the input shaft seal when there are apparently no more on the planet...

7. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    did you try www.rockauto.com?
    it shows some left for 3.1L, not sure if yours is an auto or manual, not sure if it's the same for 3.1L

8. hoov81

hoov81 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    kenosha, WI
    It sure is nice to have a work bench

9. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Yeah, rockauto has the lower input shaft bearing in the trans case, but I need the one pressed in to the bellhousing that seals the trans oil & the sleeve for the throwout bearing to ride on. I found it in a kit from AutoZone for $160 so I just bit the bullet.

Right now the drivetrain is on hold while I wait for my Tech Line header coating and that trans rebuild kit to show up...so I worked on modifying some [gasp!] Mopar rear disc backing plates to fit. After a few hours with the die grinder all I need to do is drill the holes for the Beretta wheel bearing.

The compressor kept up very well, but the water separator & dryer couldn't...I got a lot of moisture. (It was raining outside so I'm sure that didnt help)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Haven't updated this thread in along time...I'll have to get a few new pics up.

This summer I added a water spigot for the hose and got the vinyl siding that's been against the attached wall since I bought the house off the floor and on a new shelf over the garage door. That gave me some extra room now. I also just picked up a free cabinet from the old man whose work was going to throw it away. It needs a little love, but you can't beat free storage.

I have a few more projects that I'm hoping to bang out this winter: overhead storage on the far wall, a sink, a spinning hose reel out of a 15x7 Z28 wheel and a fold-down attic ladder. I put the Camaro in paid storage so I have some room to work with while the snow flies.

That's if I can get away from the mechanic work a little bit. I broke the Beretta drag racing in Sept so it needs a new trans. I planned to do some work on the garage this summer, but I kept it busy with my truck build (Vortec 357 and 5spd swap).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011