DIY trick fender braces

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RC79camaro, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    They can't provide the same stiffness as factory with those joints. However, I never understood why camaros all got these and firebirds didn't. How important can they be? Was there something different in the firebirds that made them unnecessary?

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Firebirds had fender braces, at least my 1980 bird sure did.

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Adjustability helps someone make lots of them to sell and assure that they will fit another car that is 40 years old and may or maynot have been tweaked a little....BTW, those cars weren't exactly alike when they rolled off the assembly line...:bowtie:

4. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Millbrook, Al
    Great Idea!! Love it!

5. tferg51

tferg51 Veteran Member

May 10, 2011
    New Waverly, Texas
    Just my luck! I had been thinking about replacing mine but couldn't think of any ideas and broke down and bought some billet pieces. I hate to buy something when I can make something. Anybody can buy something. I think it looks simple and clean. I am going to build me a set. Hot rodding at it's best. I think I will taper both ends back about an inch on the lathe on mine. Thanks for the idea.

6. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    I've never seen them on an early 70's bird, even high dollar restorations so I assumed they never had them. Maybe they added them later or maybe they all lost them along the way? I didn't start paying attention to cars until about the mid-80's. That's plenty of time for pieces to get lost.

7. BondoSpecial

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I have no idea, my interest in Firebirds starts in 1976, I have no idea what the early cars had on them. My 1980 was an original 3.8 v6 car and it had its fender braces. What previous years, if any, had them before 1980 I can't tell ya.

8. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Found this when reading another site....makes sense.

9. BondoSpecial

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Edit. Brain fart.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Just thought about something...I think they help in a front end collision as well...every camaro that I've seen hit in the front buckled the fenders right there at those braces....I expect it serves some purpose like that, to effect how the front end crumples up in a crash(energy absorbtion)...like the indentions in the support rails (underside of the hood)just ahead of the hood hinges..helps that long hood buckle up instead of decapitating the occupants. Anothe rreason to make sure your hood hinges are well lubed so you don't bend your hood when trying to close it.