Distributor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Millz90, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

yea thats what i was thinking and i have the alternator removed right now so its will be pretty easy....i just want to make sure i get the right one.

2. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Mobile, Alabama
    thought i read the whole post and didnt think i saw anyone say that on a hei distributor the #1 spark plug wire should at 5 o'clock position as a starting point,
    at 4 or 6 its probably too far out of time to run ,right guys?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Mobile, Alabama
    also , about that fuel pump , i have a 79 z also with stock pump. it is 3 line , in ,out and a little one for return.
    also, you need 5-7 psi pump .

4. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

So do i need to drain the gas before i change the pump?

I took off the hose from the fuel pump with the fitting and the gas just keep dripping out? The entire garage smells like gas now...lol...think i burnt a sh*t load of brain cells.....

Any advice?

5. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    No need to drain the gas,use a bolt to plug the line until you are ready to put the line back on.

6. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

The hose wasnt the probelm....the actual fitting on the pump kept leaking....and i didnt even take off the in-let hose yet. Im sure thats full of gas....but i can point that up i guess to keep the gas from coming out.

7. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

You shouldn't take the old pump off until you have a new one to put back in place, it will drip and make fumes when you disconnect it for any length of time.

8. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

ok...i have another pump to put on already but the smell was over crazy and i started to think if i should have drained the gas tank first.

Also, now im thinking i shouldnt even replace it because theres gas in it.....i know you said to get it running first to see if that is the problem but i was waiting on belts to be delivered and for $15 i figured i would just change it. Didnt seem like a big job. I dont think it is if you can stand the smell of gas and you dont drop a wrench that will produce a spark!

9. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

If you have the new one change it, it wont hurt to have a new pump on there. You don't have to drain the tank, just use a drain pan.

10. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

ok, do you know how much gas will pour out of the pump? I think i can hold the hoses up so they dont leak but i was wondering about the pump....

Will there be a lot of gas coming out of the "in" hose? Just wonder whats normal and what to expect.

Any tips to keep the gas from spilling out all over? Some one said to stuff a bolt in the hose but i dont know what size and by the time i find the right size the gas will be all over

I will propably be able to hold the hoses up so they dont leak until i get the new pump bolted on....its just smelly and worries be about a spark blowing up my little 2 car garage.