Distributor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Millz90, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

So i started my 79 Z last night and it was idling pretty good but i figured i would loosen the distributor and tune it a little. Well i was getting it a little better when the car stalled.....so i got back in the car to start it again and now its just turns over.....turns over...turns over...will NOT start?

Could i have twisted the distributor so much that it wont start now?

I didn’t check to see if i had spark but like i said it was running pretty good before i stalled and now wont start?

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Try putting it back to where it was when it was running. You do have a timing light, right? If not, don't try and time it without a light.

3. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

I did try to put it back where it was and still would not start just kept turning over....

Timing light...that is the other question i had. I DO have a timiing light BUT there is not timing strip on the engine any more....Can i put a new one on?

4. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    You can get a new timing tab. I think any one for a sbc will work on a sbc. They all basically have the marks in the same place. Just bolt it to your timing cover.

5. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

Spark plugs are probably fouled out now.

6. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

Will they be black if they are bad?

7. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

So there should be a place to bolt a new one on hu? Shoudl there be mark on the flywheel as well?

8. High Country Z

Black, sooty, wet, change them if they are.

9. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

ok thanks.....i dont think i could have tunred the ddistributor so much that it wouldnt start....i was barley turning it to beging with.

I guess it could of been flooded or like you are saying the spark plugs fouled up.....would they foul up that quick? Like minutes?

10. High Country Z

When you crank the engine like that and it doesn't fire the plugs can get soaked with fuel. Pull one and see how it looks.