Digital or classic gauges

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Eric Wright, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Eric Wright

Eric Wright New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    hey all, I am Trying to get opinions on digital gauges for classic gauges. The current gauges in my 1974 Camaro I’m not working so I’m contemplating on putting digital gauge panel in it I want to go back with a classic style gauge panel. What are y’all’s thoughts on either one. And do trying to get opinions on digital gauges for classic gauges. The current gauges in the car does not work, so I’m contemplating on putting digital gauge panel in it I want to go back with a classic style gauge panel. What are y’all‘s thoughts on either one? Do y’all think that the value will be affected by a major amount or do you think it would help the value of the car at resell?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I personally do not like pure digital gauges. I like needles

So I like these:
    [​IMG]

On looks alone, i like these more
    [​IMG]

I do not like these. I dont think they look right at all and I suspect I am not alone. They look dated - they scream 1984 to me. Corvettes and F bodies went away from these OE for a reason. Those might turn off buys because you have to see them every time you drive. But some folks love them, but I think that audience is smaller.
    [​IMG]

In terms of value/resale because you asked, if the rest of the car is a true restoration, then all of these are no good, you need originals. But I think nice gauges in a clean modified cars is probably good, or at least does not hurt value. I think the pure digital ones might turn some buyers off. Just my $0.02

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Are you talking about converting to 'digital readout' gauges or are you thinking about electronic gauges w/ an analog sweep gauge display? I can't tell from your original post.
    I put Dakota Digital electronic sweep style gauges in my Elky and in my Camaro. I like them and the sweep gauge is very 'similar' to OE gauges.
    As far a enhancing or taking away from the car's value, that depends on who is looking to buy the car. Some people like electronic gauges, some don't. IMO, digital display gauges will reduce the value of your car.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  4. Eric Wright

Eric Wright New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I am still learning all the terminology of everything. I guess what I was talking about was these 2094B2C0-06E8-425A-A288-336BD5400E6B.jpeg

And some between these 8F6AFE1C-86D8-49C3-AC6E-D69EF3AE3D1A.jpeg 62ADBFFD-CA75-499C-BDAD-9F224F13972E.jpeg

I would put in original one back in there but I feel like some modern style wouldn’t be bad.

5. Eric Wright

Eric Wright New Member

Dec 31, 2017

I really appreciate your opinion. That’s why I came to you guys to ask what y’all thought. I really like this style as well 69220EFC-0EA3-495A-88B2-23DA74101D28.jpeg 6060B85E-7716-4A13-AADA-C4AA36D2E264.jpeg

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    All of these options are, $700+ , you may want to consider getting yours repaired and upgraded, by Daniel at Gaugemarks.
    my .02

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    I like gauges with needles in classic cars. At the least, digital sweeping ones.
    Digital readouts just look out of place to me, even in hi-tech protouring cars. Plus, they remind me of my cheap ass LED alarm clock and I hate that sonovabitch.
    When I see a 2nd gen on Craigslist with digital readouts, I move on to the next ad. Unlikely it's the only reason, but those cars don't seem to sell. Just my observation.