Differential humming...(video)

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by willem, Dec 15, 2017.

1. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    The backlash and bearing preload numbers are good, if that is what they are set at. I'd like to see what the contact pattern looks like on the drive and coast side. The pinion depth number doesn't really mean anything. The pattern is what is important.

2. willem

willem New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    im sorry i dont have a picture of the contact pattern. u think it might be low quality of gears? kit came from rear parts direct. probably the least expensive online

3. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    That was the exact noise and conditions I had over the summer. Pinion was set too deep and scalloped the outside of the ring gear. Put it on a lift and use a stethoscope--that what the owner did at Atomic Transmiision in Villa Park did for me. Good luck

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    This is my suggestion. Take the cover off and do a pattern check on the gears. Post pictures of the pattern so we can see it. If the pattern looks good then either drive it like it is or put a different set of gears in it. If the pattern is not good then it will need to be fixed.

5. willem

willem New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    i'll do just that!

side note: does anyone have the specifics as to pinion angles / driveshaft angles / driveshaft alignment specs?

If not, where can i definitely find em?

6. willem

willem New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    thanks BGH,

i got to the education zone no worries;)

do you know how the driveshaft yokes on a 1980 should be properly aligned?

7. willem

willem New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    looks gd to me. what do u think?

Attached Files:

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands