Diff cover bolt broken, need advice

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lars_2Gen, Jan 21, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Usually doesn't stick, that's all.

2. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

There is no room to weld a nut on... its broken down in the housing.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I've removed more broken bolts this way than I can count. If it didn't stick then you didn't get it hot enough. When they are broken very far below the surface then you need a TIG welder to reach down in the hole, which is something that many people don't have access to. I've removed bolts that were broke off more than 1/4 inch down in the hole this way. I've never had much luck removing broken bolts with an EZ Out, especially when the bolt is rusted in place or bottomed out in the hole. The heat from welding helps loosen the bolt so that it comes out easy. This also works well on pipe plugs and fittings that are stuck due to rust.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    gas and guns likes this.
  4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get back to working on it today, and leaving for work travel tonight. Will get back to it next weekend and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the ideas!

5. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

↑ This.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

What I know about welding you can write in a match book with a grease pencil. I can braze, just not electric. However, however you plan to get it out, stuff the gear housing part with rags. Anything that does get into the area will be hald until you remove the rags. A quick rinse with brake cleaner and you're ready to go.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

If you can drill into the center of the bolt, try to drill into it about a 1/4 deep; then find a screw that fits the hole drilled.

Get JBWeld or Heavy Duty Epoxy apply a little to the tip of the bolt ... tape it all stationary and come back in 24 hours. You should be able to back it out ... remember to use PB Blast or Liquid wrench on the threads.

8. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

If you can't get the broken EZ out out, sounds like you will need to skip it.

Sometimes it's just better to drill it on center and keep increasing bit size until you can pick the thread remnants out of the part.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LEFT hand drills.... ;)
    after you pre drill it...say 1/8"...then grab you a 3/16" LEFT HAND DRILL....you don't really want to drill a new hole...you want it to BITE (as such a small increase in size will do)

or

The center section is CAST.....the BOLT is steel!!! us an oxy/acetylene torch and blow it out....;) steel will move LONG before you hurt that cast iron

10. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Final outcome... the bolt wins.

7 broken drill bits.
    Countless dulled drill bits
    1 drill bit broken in the bolt
    1 broken easy out - broken in the bolt
    2 destroyed dremel bits
    The bolt has hardened from the heat of trying to drill it out ti the point that I can't even get a brand new sharp drill bit to scratch it.

I give up!
    20190203_101859.jpg 20190203_104229.jpg 20190203_101902.jpg