Did some measuring on my 062 Iron Vortec's

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by larrylarry, Feb 26, 2018.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Ive been using this pair of 062 Vortec's for about 10 yrs now an found some interesting things. I ordered them new an installed screw in rocker studs an did a quick bowl blend to them when I first got them. Then I decided to do some upgrades to my 350 an took some time to cc the chambers an intake runners an exhaust. I've posted this before but new untouched iron Vortec chambers are 62cc not 64. This could make a big difference if your using a compression calculator. I decided to cc the intake runners this past weekend an there not 170. All of the runners were in the 167-168 range. Not that it makes a big difference. Exhaust runners were 57-58cc not 60. The chambers I cut most of the square boss next to the sparkplug hole, rounded it & lower it. I was able to get the chambers to 64cc. Worked on the bowl a bit more reshaping the valve guide boss then cut on the runners getting them to 172cc. I didnt enlarge the head to intake manifold opening worked mostly on the pushrod pinch area. Took me a few days cause after a few hours I tend not to see things. I love to be able to flow then on a bench but Im strapped for cash.

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    All the 062 and 906 I tested from trucks came in at 170 to 171 cc intake runners. The chambers were anywhere from 61cc to 65cc.

3. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Lubbock, Texas USA
    Hope you didn't screw up knocking that square boss down, I've been told by a lot of knowledgeable head porters to leave that alone...

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    I have read that too, I still see the fully ported Vortec's with it gone and making big numbers. There is also one other spot in the intake port that Joe Mondello talked about that was worth 15 cfm on the intake side. I can't find the article since he died recently.

5. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Joe Mondello passed away quite some time ago. Joe Sherman passed away recently.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I seen pics of ported Voetecs by knowledgeable people where that boss was completely gone but they also increased the intake valve to 2.02 also. The only way to get to 64cc was to remove 75% of the boss.