Details wanted for installing 98-02 camaro electric fans in a 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I went through the relay logic on paper and see it it’s exactly as you said. I think I’ve come up with a simple, inexpensive, 2 speed dual fan control system. Hayden makes a dual speed controller for about $30. By adding 1 external relay, I can mimic the circuit that you have. A $30 controller with a probe and adjustable trip point and another $8 relay and a couple fuses and I think I can make it work high/low with 2 fans for about $45. Hayden output 1 becomes relay 1, Hayden output 2 becomes relay 2, the new external relay #3 switches from series to parallel. I’ve done a rough drawing, not nearly as good as yours lol, but I’ll post it soon.... making my electronics degree pay off.... lol.

2. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My version in the making. Might need a blocking diode on the relay coil though.

IMG_0837.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Just finished getting this all cleaned and wired up. I decided to screw the controller right to the shroud for a nice clean install. I'm using the Davies Craig controller sold by Custom Works seems like a really really nice piece.

20180218_163352.jpg

4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Nice install! So that’s the one that starts one fan then the other 10 seconds later?

Have you prefit the fan yet and will you have to trim it in a few places!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yes, this controller turns on the first fan at a set temperature and then turns on the second one 10 seconds later.

I would probably mount the controller a little different next time because it's a little hard to see the temp reading now that I have it in the car.

The shroud was very easy to mount. I had to trim the lower right ear to clear the lower radiator hose. That's about it. The three tabs at the bottom actually hold it to the lip on the core support really well. My wife made a couple L brackets for the top, and good to go!

6. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I test fit my shroud tonight and I see exactly what you mean. All but the lower passenger side tab is better to have than not. I now see that everything will fit with the fan motors in. The whole exercise was well worth it since I found that my heater core hose was nicked at the manifold fitting plus the alternator was just about to cut the hose all the way through another foot back. I shortened up the hoses and I'm good to go.

I'm going to make some 1/2" angle brackets, one for each bottom side of the core support to insure that the shroud can't back into the motor. The shroud doesn't hit anything in the center where the staggered mounting tabs are. I'll also have to make some changes to the top rad cover. There are 3 nuts welded in the upper core support, only the center one lines up. I'm assuming it's a big block radiator cover and a small block core support.

I need to get a couple 5/16 x 24 bolts to replace the fan studs. Looks pretty stupid with those studs sticking out. That and you can't run a nut all the way down because of the thread transition in the center of the stud.

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    That is the EXACT process I went through over the weekend. I used some 5/16x24 3/4 long bolts for the water pump pulley. I added a little blue locktight to make sure they dont back out too.

I made WAY too many modifications to the engine all at once to get the fans setup. I need to do some engine tuning before I can really focus on getting the controller set correctly so that will come later.

My only real beef with the controller was the temp probe. Its so long that it wedges against the fan shroud. I was able to make it fit... but just barely. It's something to keep in mind when setting this up.

8. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    For any of you guys who installed relays for fan control, and I assume that you used individual 30/40 amp relays, what gauge of wire did you have on the relay socket pigtails? I’m seeing 30/40 amp relays with 16 or 18 gauge wire, I found one with 12 gauge. The wires on the fan plug seems to be about 14 gauge.

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    14-12awg for the power wires depending on cable length and grade (just use 12 if you’re not sure and want to be safe)

20 - 18awg for the control wires is plenty

Better to get relay holders and crimp on terminals to suit rather than the pre-wired pigtail type

Lynd McCormick likes this.
  10. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Went with two circuits, one for each fan in case one component failed ...still would have one fan working. How reliable is part number # 3654 from Hayden?