Details wanted for installing 98-02 camaro electric fans in a 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    very true but last time I checked a good quality aftermarket ali rad/fan setup was $800+ ?

I actually used more modern AU Falcon fans (australian f**d) on mine which are a popular choice for race cars, drift cars and burnout comp guys in this hemisphere and fit the stock rad like they were made for it, but there's gotta be some other decent OEM offerings out there?
  2. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    You can still buy most any factory fan you want as a repro from several sources. Taurus and others ....Just google elec fans for 2001 camaro etc. Not that expensive either.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, but its worth the cost...and my Dewitt is a lifetime warranty. Its not a cheap universal made in China radiator. American made and no concern or fab to "get the fans to bolt on"
  4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I have a the 4th gen set up on mine and works great attached to stock type radiator. I had to drill a coupe of holes in the shroud at the top to bolt it to the radiator hold down and some L brackets on the bottom screwing the shroud to the core support. Very easy to do.

I also have the fans wired in a three relay set-up like the Fbody had originally. Both fans on low, or both fans on high...depending on the temp presets.

I don't have any good pics of the fan shroud, this is the best i could can still see it peeking from the side

2016-06-06 18.58.43_zpsahhmqour.jpg 2016-06-08 05.29.24_zps1jp22iyl.jpg 2016-06-08 05.29.31_zpsae6vipwv.jpg
  5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Well I'm glad I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I pulled a set of these fans at the you-pull-it several years ago and they have been sitting on my parts pile ever since. I decided to go ahead and mock them up last night and see how they look. I'll be using the Custom Works controller ( that just arrived 2 days ago) to control them.

Overall the fit is very very close. I need to trim the side tabs a little and then probably make some little brackets to keep things in place, but overall not bad for 20 minutes of work. The shroud seemed a little narrow, but I'll just use some rubber to fill the gaps. They sure sit close to the 454 though.

And as far as availability I'm surprised. There must be over a dozen 4th gen camaros at the local you-pull-it. LKQ. They are common as spiders around here.

6. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Ok, next question, which way is up? When looking at the fan and what looks like little vents on the motors, I would say that the flat bottom of the frame goes on the bottom, and the the fan connectors would be under the fan. But .... I just looked at a YouTube video and his installation has the connectors on the motors facing up and the flat bottom on top. What say you? In the second picture, is this right side up or upside down?

Btw, I got a 2002 Firebird fan from LKQ for $60. The fan is in great shape, but they really didn't care about packing and shipping. My fans arrived 3 days late, in a huge box that way too tall but way to narrow, smashed on a few sides, the mounting tabs were poked through the side of the box, and 80% of the box was just air, no packing. My UPS guy marked it in his system as damaged in shipping. Fortunately it's in one piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Mine in the early stages. Later models did not get the openings in the shroud. Like 95+, maybe 94+

8. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    If anyone is wondering on how I set my fans up, I used this diagram and some plain bosche type 35 / 40 amp relays.

For the parts I used a dorman fuse block and three interlocking relay holders

2018-02-17 06.59.17.jpg

2018-02-17 06.59.08.jpg

2018-02-17 06.59.31.jpg

2018-02-17 06.59.58.jpg

I will say this is one of the best mods I did, it's nice having both fans run at a low speed when the first temp setting is met, and during the hot days idle in traffic both kick on high speed. No cooling issues and it works like a champ.
  9. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    That’s a nice clean project build.... and with a nice professionally drawn schematic. A man after my own heart.

Without me drawing it out, Logic-wise, can both triggers be on at the same time or must low speed drop out while high speed is on? If I were to use a 2 stage thermal switch, high and low would both be on when called for high speed.
  10. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Both triggers are active when the preset for each is activated...they go off whenever the the temp drops below the preset on either one...starting with the higher temp first. Both grounds are intertwined with each other to the three relays