Details wanted for installing 98-02 camaro electric fans in a 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    What’s the opinion of having 2 fans and staging them as 1 fan for stage 1 and the first and second fan for stage 2? I saw one opinion tbat proper airflow couldn’t be achieved.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I like the way they wired later 4th gens. 3 relays let you run both fans at half speed or both at full speed

3. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Yes, I have that wiring diagram and could do that with 3 relays but I would need a 2 stage controller or a 2 stage temp switch that I’ve yet to find.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

the electrical section had a whole thread on it. BMW 2 speed fan switch.

Lynd McCormick likes this.
  5. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
  6. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Good info. How do you wire it so the fans come on with the A/C?

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    The fans kick in when the blue wires/relays are grounded so you'd just need to connect something that gets grounded when the AC is switched on I don't know much about AC but the compressor clutch is probably the simplest option

8. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Years ago I tried to connect the A/C and fans in a similar fashion. Whenever the fans kicked on the A/C turned on. Not fun in the winter.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’m not surprised junk yards are short pickings for a fan that was last used on a production car 16 years ago.

Seeing how many companies like Dewitt make direct fit radiators with electric fans, I wouldn’t bother with a picknpull special.

I have used makeshift relays kits to flex-lite fan activation kits. I’m not a fan of the probes in the radiator fins. My Dewitt has a built in probe and the last Flex-lite kit I used utilized a probe in the intake manifold.

10. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    haha good point, would have to be careful to avoid that