Details wanted for installing 98-02 camaro electric fans in a 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 3, 2018.

1. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    That's nice. Did you do the welding or have a shop do it for you?

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    On 78 TA, I used a dual fan setup from a LT1 vehicle,with a radiator mounted sensor,just installed Derale(sp) controler had to tap the water jacket on the intake for the sensor,on the 79 Camaro I swapped in a LS2 with all fan and radiator and is computer controled,the mounting of the fan was easy just made some slots for the shroud to slip into

3. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I found a great deal on a fan, $60 and free shipping. The lady at the place was kind of a b**ch and said no warranty no return. When I asked if it was returnable if it wasn’t as advertised, she said nope. When I asked if it was tested, she said we wouldn’t be selling it if it didn’t work. Someone needs to send her the definition of customer service and a self help book!

4. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2004
    chico, ca, usa
    We have a nice dual controller set up, and also that shroud can be used with our closout panel for a really clean instalation with a slight bit of modification. We also make a nice dual fan set up. here is a link to our cooling stuff

http://customworksperformance.net/radiators--cooling.html

5. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I purchased a fan and it’s on its way but I still need a controller, yours looks interesting and it appears to be priced well. Is it dual control or single control with two fans? I’d prefer staging the fans. What kind of current will the relays take and are they plugin? I’ll be using a dual fan setup out of a 2002 5.7l Firebird.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Nice looking gear there. Your prices seem reasonable too. :)

7. bigkat_83

bigkat_83 Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Bogart ga
    Yes i did the work on it. Here's another one I did for one of my other projects. IMG_1842.jpeg

8. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Nice work! Wanna drag your welding cart to Huntsville, AL? :)

9. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    The more that I read, the more I want to do a PWM control. There are a lot of guys doing this with inexpensive OEM modules but they use the ECM to drive it. Heck for $30 you can do it but I’ve got to find something that can take an external probe. I’ve also seen pwm Controls aftermarket for a bit over $100. I keep thinking of the the few guys at the cruise that roll in with their electric fans running full tilt as they drive through.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My DCC controller is PWM. works great, I rarely hear the fans run. And they almost never run at full speed. 10 years and counting on it.