Details wanted for installing 98-02 camaro electric fans in a 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I'm looking to install a 98-02 Camaro dual electric fan in my big block 73. Currently I don't have a shroud so rather than buy one, I might as well go duel electric. Does anyone have pictures, details, or suggestions for the project? Did you have to make brackets and if so, do you have any pics? What kind of a controller did you use, single or dual control, and did you used a screw in sensor, an upper hose sensor, or a rad fin sensor? If you picked up a used fan, what did you pay? So far I've been offered a used one with 2 cracks around the outer shrowd for $80, and I found a brand new one for $97 plus shipping. My radiator is a new OEM type aluminum unit.

2. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    Easy money. I paid $100 for a good set of fans at a salvage yard. I also upgraded the alternator to a Gen 3, 94 amp. I just bought a new one at O'Reilly's. There are a number of controllers out there. I went with the DCC (Delta Current Control) dual controller. It was a bit pricey but very simple install. Dakota Digital has a nice one too but it was more than I wanted to deal with. The fans pretty much drop right in and get held in place with the radiator cut out cover. No brackets needed. The sensor plugs into the fins. I'm running a healthy 406 and my car never goes over 180. I did get a new cover that holds the fans in place better than the OE cover. I got it at Custom Works Performance - $85.

3. bigkat_83

bigkat_83 New Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Bogart ga
    I used a set of 4th gen fans. Made mounts for them. Controlling them with the LS/ecu. Seem to work great.[​IMG]

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Other option is a Taurus two speed fan.

[​IMG]

VERY powerful fan (so much so, I rarely ever hit the high speed, except with A/C on in middle of traffic on a 90F+ day).

My setup isn't a LS (it's TPI-based electronics) but I'm also running mine off the ECM (both the low and high speed).

Mechanical installation write up...

http://ultm8z.com/Ford Taurus fan installation write up.pdf

5. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I’ve called no less that 6 junk yards so far and no one has the fan. They also tell me that the 3.8 isn’t the same as the 350 version of the fan. One guy told me that he has access to everything in the north east and no one has one. His price was $100-$175 used, $200 new. I see them new aftermarket for $100.

I saw the DCC controller, that’s nice! 2 outputs, internal relays, second stage 10 degrees higher based on set point 1. That’s what I’m leaning towards.

6. bigkat_83

bigkat_83 New Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Bogart ga
    2004-2006 GTO fans are also a nice fit, They are close to the same size as the GEN4 fans.

7. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Just found a 4th get fan for $75 sorta locally

8. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I found that my new alternator is 72 amps. I have no radio or anything like that, but I also know that if the voltage would ever dip to 10v, my 6al will shut right down. I think I’m ok, what do you think?

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
  10. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    I didn't think it would be hard to find the fan. The yard I got it from had to have it brought in from another location but I had it next day. Did you check eBay? I asked for one from a forth Gen Z28. It may be just me but I thought the 94amp alternator was a good safeguard and leaves some room to grow. Who know's what I may want to do next. :)