Delco Remy Battery

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70lt1z28, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just an FYI to the few here that probably care, but basically we are SOL on getting an original appearing Delco R79-89 battery for our restorations.
    Restoration Battery has closed down and their supplier, Antique Auto Battery is reportedly having cash flow problems and are not fulfilling orders according to this post:

http://www.yenko.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1385277&postcount=10

Thread:

http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146744

Looks like the only thing remaining is a topper plate.

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave, Are you knowledgeable about the best alternative to replicate the "look"
    for our 1970 side post batteries

3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Chuck there are no alternatives that I'm aware of, some of the toppers look like a bad toupee.

4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Not the Freedom ones. Lol

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    There was a thread going I think on Yenko.net that listed the best battery base to use with the topper. I'll look for it. No matter what, like Mr. Nelson said it will always look like a bad rug, but what are you going to do.

I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't taken a used R-79 or 89 and gutted it and fit an optima or some other smaller form-factor battery inside. Seems possible. If we could find out who in Mexico is actually molding the shells for Antique Auto Battery it seems like a pretty good business model. You could sell a pretty correct looking battery with modern internals that could maybe be easily replaced later when the battery does go bad. The only challenge, if it would just drop in and fit, would be the jumper connections between the battery and the shell connections.

If somebody takes this idea, you heard it here first!

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

Mar 22, 2001
    I like to keep a Delco under the hood of my '71 as well. Other than the dealer, Delco's are difficult to find. Last one I found was at Strauss and they're gone for years, so after sitting all winter, I doubt that big block will start. For my every day vehicles I have been looking for Deka batteries as they have a plant in Reading, PA and their batteries have good service life. Wonder if they would be interested in a line of reproduction batteries. Probably licensing and tooling is too steep to produce a good return for a limited production run.

7. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    At my work, we spec Deka and Odyssey batteries. We use about 100 batteries a week.

Here’s my topper. One benefit is when the battery fails, just add Velcro to the new battery. It’s survived 2 batteries over the years. It’s currently setting on a Delco battery.

Mike

F4CBBF08-462C-4666-BCFD-5787CD381803.jpeg

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Here is my topper on a Delco battery. Hey roeville how did you make the eye in your topper look green?
    DD5986EF-F2C0-4342-AC5D-3FF4F5BF96F3.jpeg 04E2AD26-5B7B-4E0D-81E4-AF6AB67A7C2D.jpeg

9. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    I took a piece of clear plastic rod, painted the bottom green, and drilled a hole through the cap. I drilled the hole slightly smaller than the rod, then sanded the rod (on a drill) for a tight interference fit.
    Mike

9137D534-7B19-47D9-AACF-AE1B82F4E7E5.jpeg

10. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Here's the response I got from Antique Auto battery......

"Yes we are still in business unfortunately, we only have two people trying to do everything"

....and also said some batteries are back ordered 6-8 weeks.

It doesn't sound to promising to me.