Deer slayer 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 80sz, Oct 14, 2016.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    IMG_4010.JPG IMG_4007.JPG Working on the finish up on the lower quarter patch. Almost there,got little more welding and grinding but it the most difficult patch so far Ive done. Ran out of little sanders for my dremel which is slow going but getting it done

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    IMG_4026.JPG Got some new parts today. 621 bellhousing,hurst shifter linkage kit, tranny bolts and mount. Got some sticker shock also. I figured 250-300 for shifter but was 650.00! Oh boy didnt expect that. Still need clutch yet .

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Called painter and he's still 2 months out from a month ago. I really want him to paint it since hes done a bunch of camaros. Im ready to buy a compressor and gun and do it myself with no experience in my backyard. Im picky and not sure I can pull it off. Im going to make some calls to a few other places . Still think thats best. Last guy cut corners big time. I just stripped the mirrors and it was just straight paint then clear not to mention he filled rust holes with seam sealer and filler that he was supposed to fix. Dang it,feel like smashing something. I want my car back.

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    I say do it yourself, you have done so much why stop now, then at least you know its right

80sz likes this.
  5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree, you've done so much yourself why not give it a shot. I'm by no means a professional but I'm glad I made the choice to paint my own cars 20+ years ago. It is really gratifying when it looks good and you did it yourself. Out of the many cars I've painted I've always been able to fix any flaws as long as the body work was good.

80sz likes this.
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thx . You're right in at least I know I will put forth my best effort. Im going to try and line it up some more . I think I need to jostle around the rad support to get the fender to door gap correct . I've done some wet sanding and turned out really nice. As long as I can get the base down good and pile on the clear I think I can sand out a lot of flaws. I'd love to say I did that. If I can get it lined up little better I'm really considering it. The hood is close but those dang edges are driving me nutty. I'm not sure if I'm at the point where I should just add some metal and bring them in tight.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Driver side is okay but passenger is still off a lot. Get a pic of it cause I've tried all suggestions and it's still not going. I've used a 2x4 against the tire pushed and pulled. It just isn't going in....yet. I haven't threw in the towel.

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    IMG_4075.JPG Got the lower quarter patch finished. Im happy with it and the door to quarter gap is pretty decent.

Attached Files:

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Totally on board with doing this yourself. Keep in mind of the quality that you are looking for. There are incompatibilities with primers and paints that will bite you. Also seen quite of few open air paint jobs on this site but never seem to get a close up of the finished work while this does work care is needed to pull these off.

I would at least practice with a test panel first to get the process down. Just my 2 cents worth.

10. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Well if you are doing it out side, I say check out HF they have a 10 x 17 pop up garage last price I seen was 199.00. I am thinking of getting one my self for painting mine cause I don't want to plastic the inside of my garage