Dealership Buybacks...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I might still be able to get into Ford's warranty system tomorrow if you want to shoot me the vin. It's been a bit since I tired but the links and passwords are showing up as current on my work computer. I just don't have them at home for Ford.

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Run don’t buy that

These cars can have electrical problems or internal problems that they can’t diagnose

No manufacturer wants to buy a vehicle back so they really put up a fight
    I wouldn’t go this route

3. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

Ford police SUV and cruisers had that same exhaust smell issue too - its not just the civilian vehicles.....fyi.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I would buy a buyback in a heartbeat if the price is right, Why? because I used to fix all those damn problem child things. We had a 1999 Trans Am that one of the companies other stores for from an auto auction that came into us for some codes that was under warranty. As my fellow tech and I looked at this thing we noticed that there were a few R.O.s in the glove box for the same codes. After we called the tech line at GM they asked how we got that car so we told them, they then said "it was a buyback and was supposed to be scrapped" they told us that it had been in for no less than 10 times and no one could fix it, we told the zone rep we could. The rep rolled his eyes at us and said "go ahead and take you best shot and if you can't we are scrapping it". After looking at the problem for a couple of hours and retracing the wiring we found a bad ground on the back of the drivers cyl head. We repaired that went out and beat the snot out of the T/A (that was fun) then the zone drove it for a week, they sent it back to the other dealer and called it good. There is NO CAR OR TRUCK THAT CANNOT BE FIXED, only poor techs that don't have the training to repair stuff properly. About a month later we were in formed by the zone that all the prior work done on that car was charged back, and we got a free dinner courtesy of Pontiac. I could tell you a ton of horror stories about buybacks but there is not enough space here. I say go for it on something like this to get a good deal.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

We have run across water leaks on a few of these Explorers. Check the rear storage space for water, and the rear shoulder harnesses for wetness. Smell musty in back seat and hatch.

6. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

DO NOT BUY!!!! I work for ford and the Explorer is a nightmare. The fuel smell happens when you step on the gas it gets sucked up from the vents in the back. They have a reprogram that kinda helps it but there are a list of things that will break that just make the car not worth it.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Tempting but, I keep seeing this....
    polishaturd.png

Dave Nelson and xten like this.