Day at the Track (2017 October)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by czizza, Nov 5, 2017.

1. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    My last track day was April 15 2012, work and family has kept me away until my long time best friend wanted to race his 92 Mustang 302 w/Procharger against my 409 Small Block.

We are both close, my car is over 400 to the wheels from 3300 to 6500. His is similar but more from 3800 to 5200. His car weighs 3400lbs mine weighs 3992. His best time was 12.2 mine before race day was 12.516 but mine was back to back and he has not had time to post up another 12.2. When he did the 12.2 he blew a head gasket so he had his heads milled and was hoping for an 11 sec run. He has updated to a T56 Magnum and Dual Clutch setup.

I did some work to my car as well since 2012, I added CalTracks when from an ST10 to a TKO500, Centerforce DFX clutch, QuickTime Bell, 1-3/4 headers, added a 2 step and went to 28" slicks.

So the Stage was set ... old school battle of the best of 3 ... we planned for 10/11 but that day rained out ... so we moved it to 10/18 ... I just had to replace my power steering pump which was another nightmare but I got the car ready by 11am 10/18 so we (Dad and I went out) and won the first two he could not run the third because his car overheated but he sent another huffer in his place a Buick GNX which was no match for my car.

First run, I did a granny launch and he missed shifted and ran a 13 flat he ran a 14, 2nd run he fouled and I did a 3K launch and ran 12.88; third run was a real race run ... did a 4.2k 2-step launch ran a 12.473 my best; 108.99 with a 1.673 60ft time.

I need to do a day at the track to tune her; she needs some more timing and fuel so this winters projects are a new computer/logger setup and if I can swing it AFR 233 heads which are a lot bigger then my 178 Edelbrock Pro-flow RPM.

Here is the video of the runs:

Here are my runs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Good stuff that's what it's all about.

czizza likes this.
  3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    And the Camaro WINS!!!!

czizza likes this.
  4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    That last launch looked really good. How do you like the slicks? What are you running? Did you get the "stiff sidewall" version? I tried drag radials with my T56 and it was impossible to hook decent. I'm definitely going to need the wrinkle walls for the new engine build.

And no surprise about the Camaro smoking a Mustang...that's a given. Although his untimed run looked pretty good.

I didn't realize the had test & tune open to the public at Etown. I used to watch the big boys down there but it's been probably close to 10 years. It's only another hour or so away from my normal track in Albany. I'll have to try it out. Be cool to get my old man to go down. He started taking me there in middle school to watch Force and Scelzi.

5. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    The last launch it really hooked ... The slicks seemed good but with only 3 tests it hard to say. I am planning on some more engine mods then out back at the track in March.

You should go with your old man ... mine came and my uncle and it was nice being there with my family.

6. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Super cool, Ive been thinking of doing something similiar at test and tune here. I have an 88 5.0 that we supercharged and my Dad bought. Id love to get it up againt the Camaro for fun but it wouldn't be fair as the Camaro has a massive HP advantage. That 5.0 was a lot of fun to drive though and as much grief as Im gonna catch Ill admit I really want to buy it back. I loved the whine of the supercharger but my turbos still sound better. :)

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Superchargers are cool I have driven my friends car it is really cool ... It very fast ... but there is a difference when he is out of the band. I really like having power all of the time.