David's 1st project: 1978 LT Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by dirtdobber78, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Keith at CustomWorksPerformance.net

2. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side
    [​IMG]
    current state of passenger side
    [​IMG]

3. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I had someone working on these floors for me and he got the impression that I wanted this done as cheaply as possible. He tried to make a floor pan out of something else work. I don't know if it was my communication or his assumption but he did a crappy job on the passenger side. On the underside of the toe board there is one spot with 1" of Bondo. I had a discussion with him and he did much better on the drivers side here, but I am going to take over on the passenger side and do this myself. I have a better welder borrowed now so hopefully that will help. At least I will know it is operator error not the machine now. I now have the replacement toe board that I ordered from Southwest Classics over in Arlington. Kind of nice having a place that is in driving distance to get some of the parts. Often the shipping costs more than the part when it comes to these metal parts. Once I finish re-doing the passenger side then I have to try to figure out if I can save the quarters or install the partial replacement quarters that I have.

4. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]
    A little more progress last night.

5. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Update: I have only found a few times to work on car. My friend Scot and brother in law Bob have come over and helped. We got Bob's welder going and he taught me a little welding so now I am excited to do some more welding. I have to finish fitting the toe kick and the rest of the floor on the passenger side. The big update is something my brother-in-law showed me from Stacey Davids GearZ TV program on season 11 episode 6. He is converting an 81 Z to a 73 split bumper RS!!!!!!!!!! I am super excited about this. I emailed the website and asked for a parts list and within about an hour they sent me a parts list with parts numbers and everything from Classic Industries. I put in all the parts and it looks like right now all the parts will cost about $5,700 plus shipping (probably a killer). They have also posted the parts list to their facebook page. I dont want a cowel hood so I left that off. Has any one else done this on here? Is anyone else thinking of doing this?

6. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    OK for right now Im not going to do the conversion to 73.....could buy one of those and redo it cheaper than converting. I worked on floor pans last night. Toe kick....pics

7. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Its not perfect but I am getting better. I watched my brother in law do some welding on this and he would touch the edge of the sheet metal briefly until he got a dab of weld to start then keep touching that dab after it cools a little until it bridged the gap between the two pieces. Then move over and do another spot. Continue to build on the thicker the welds. The welds are less likely to blow through. Now I have a little more confidence in welding. Its not great but better than when I first tried.

8. roski9

roski9 Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I am in the same boat, learning as I go. Keep up the good work!

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Looks like you did a pretty nice job on those floor pans but judging by the smoke marks it looks like both sides of the joint needed to be cleaned more thoroughly before welding.

Your brother in laws technique is a good one, but if you get the gaps and welder settings right it won't be necessary and you'll end up with a cleaner flatter weld that doesn't much grinding.