David's 1st project: 1978 LT Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by dirtdobber78, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This is my first car project and my brother-in-law Bob will be helping me with it. I am going to rebuild/modify this 1978 LT Camaro. I am not good at all the jargon yet, but am looking forward to making this project fun, documenting it here, and welcome advise of the forum members. I'll try to post the pictures of the car and then give a little history.

Attached Files:

2. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    History: I purchased this car from my now father-in-law who bought this car new. It was driven by my father-in-law, 2 of his 3 kids and his wife as a commuter car. His youngest daughter is now my wife. It has a 305 and an automatic transmission. It has been stored for a few years in a barn and since the barn had to come down the car had to come out. When I saw the car I really liked it and so the story begins.

3. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Bob and I have worked 1-2 days on this project so far and have so far tested the compression (all cylinders had good compression), removed the engine and the transmission. The plan is to take the car down as far as necessary to redo it and make it a really sweet ride. I would like to keep the 305 and make some modifications to juice it up a bit. I saw an article on ways to get good horsepower from these engines. I do not have a lot of extra cash so until the budget loosens up a little I wont be able to spend a lot.

4. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I want to put in a manual transmission (brother-in-law has one from his 78 camaro) and so when I get to that advise will be needed. I am thinking about blue with white stripes.

5. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Welcome to the board David. :bowtie:

Glad to see you want to make it a fun project. Looks like you've got a solid foundation to work with. Must have been in that barn quite a while. How'd the car get a different color nose?

6. BOYMECHANIC

BOYMECHANIC Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Rochester Hills,MI
    welcome too your new addiction i love your car buddy so original and unmolested you should count your self lucky I'm working on a frankenmaro and its made of two different cars a 1981 v6 base coupe and a 1979 z28 it will be a z28 when its done good luck with your project and ill be watching your progress

7. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the welcome guys. Wayback....it was in the barn for 9-10 yrs I think. The rats had taken up residence and as you may have seen I had tons of crap to clean out from under the hood. The nose was replaced after a fender bender I think. It never got repainted.

I took off the tail light assemblys yesterday and was surprised how easy they come off. Any tricks for removing the glue/weather stripping? I'll post some more pics today if I can.

8. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    Are you talking about the weatherstripping the goes around the tail lights? If so you are going to have to unscrew the lenses (make sure to get all of the screws, as the lenses are very brittle and expensive), after the lenses are unscrewed the weatherstripping should just pick right off of the housing. Hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to the forum!

9. dirtdobber78

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I mean the weatherstripping around the trunk.

10. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    The best way to remove the weatherstripping from the trunk channel is to just tear it out and use a wire wheel to get it down to bare metal. Remember after you take it out water will get in so you will want to cover it up.