Dash Removal..

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by mjoc, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    SO I'm going to start to pull out complete dash and remove heater box etc to installl my Classic Auto Air AC and the new NPD Ac dash, I want this to go as easy as possible and wanted to know if and how to remove everything. DOes anyone have the assembly procedure for the dash.. And or any tricks to make this go easier for me..

Any help as always would be very much appreciated.

Michael

2. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

May 31, 2015
    New Braunfels, TX
    I will need to do this soon myself. I will be watching this one! Please post if you have any ahha! moments. Or figure out something critical. I am going to spend some time with mine to try to silence all the rattles while I'm in there.

3. JKC

JKC Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Knoxville Tn
    I put a vintage air in a 78 and I was able to remove the console then took the radio out and glove box liner then the lap vent the I took the lower part of the dash where the radio mounts. after that you can remove the heater core box that's all I took out and mounted the vintage air box .

4. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I know I don't HAVE to remove the dash pad. but I'm upgrading the dash pad to a factory AC pad the NPD repo unit. The non AC pad in there now is not a good fit. I also want to put sound deadner and insulation on the firewall. as well as. According to classic auto I don't even need to remove lower dash.
    I just want info the proper way to remove and and little tricks to remove. I also would like to know where all screws and stuff are.

Michael

5. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Dash Removal

Here are a few suggestions on R/R of the dash pad on a 1970:
    1. Remove Front seats and console and rear seat bottom cushions (gives you room to stretch out and work under the dash.
    2. Drop the steering wheel (optional)
    3. Bag and Tag the small bits and pieces
    4. Having a "1970 Camaro Factory Assembly Instruction Manual" will be helpful. If you don't already have one they should be available on EBAY and other vendors.
    5. If you remove the steel instrument panel reinforcement bar (approx 30") take note of how it attaches at either end. Its the backbone of the right half of the lower dash components.
    6. If your carpet needs replacement now would be a good time while the seats and console are out of the way.

I hope some or all of these tips are helpful.

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I installed my NPD dash about a month ago. It is a straight forward process. I was able to remove the old one, clean everything and reinstall it in 4 1/2 hours. I didn't bother removing the seats for the additional room. Just keep all the screws organized and take your time.
    I replaced my heater core at the same time. Now that was a PITA!!

7. SDL73Z28

SDL73Z28 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2014
    NJ
    remove the gauge cluster, lower dash on the driver side, ash tray, radio and glove box liner. Bag all bolts and label all wire connections. I left the lower passenger side dash on instead of trying to reach up and around to unbolt it. don't forget the two bolts above the dash cluster securing the dash pad. if all bolts are removed the "bottom" of the dash should move freely. I had difficulty with the dash clips. Theoretically you should be able to pull the dash horizontally out but the clips on my dash were extremely tight and i couldn't get it to budge by myself. I was able to pull the dash pad enough to fit a wrench to remove the dash pad clip on the passenger side and the other two clips can be reached with a little effort from underneath. Start to finish it took me about an hour. Reverse the process to install

[​IMG][/URL]

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    reviving an old post....you guys that did this, how did you get the new dash back on without scratching the metal dash? I plan on painting my metal dash black.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    The new dash basically just slides in and the clips hold it. Just make sure you get ALL the clips in the holes in the metal part of the dash, and you should be home free without scratching anything. Another set of eyes and hands come in handy when lining the clips up with the holes. The really ignorant part, as mentioned above, is getting the clips out of the holes on removal. If you have your dash pad out already, you know the routine and the hard part's done. Good luck

10. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Giggity-
    There are several "how to" videos on Youtube dealing with 2nd Gen dash removal. Enter 1970 Camaro Dash Removal in the Youtube search box.